About Lisa Stephenson
Course Leader for the MA in Drama and Creative Writing in Education, Lisa's specialist area is Drama pedagogy. She works in partnership with schools and communities to develop meaningful and motivational learning opportunities for children. As Director of the Story Makers Company, she also works with a wide range of Theatre and Arts Practitioners developing research opportunities in areas such as Social Change, Critical Pedagogy and Mental Well-being.
Drawing on her background in Psychology and experience as a Primary School teacher and Senior Leader, Lisa has worked creatively with a range of vulnerable young people using targeted interventions. She teaches Creative Arts and Drama for Learning across all ITE Undergraduate and Postgraduate routes.
- Module leader for Creative Arts ITE
- English modules ITE
- MA Making Drama
- MA Drama for Social Change
- MA Drama and Creative Writing in Practice
- MA dissertation
PhD research examines Dramatic Enquiry as a social cultural tool for reflection and participants include arts facilitators and young people. This work focuses on the relationship between creative participation and critical reflection that is experienced through making drama with a particular focus on drama as a pedagogical tool to promote positive well-being and safe learning.
- This year she has been working with colleagues on a United Kingdom Literacy Association sponsored project. The key finding of this project is that drama gives primary school pupils more agency with their creative writing at a time when school writing is restricted by policy and testing.
- Current research also looks at digital technology as a tool to amplify storying through improvised drama
- Bespoke Raising Aspiration Days with school partners to create rich learning and inspirational University visits for Primary Schools
- Reimagining Home Together: Saving Planet Anksi!
- Story Makers Company: Working with children to make stories that matter
- Schoolchildren create new book to empower female BAME pupils
- Online story experience for children in isolation across world
- Creative Possibilities: The Foundation of Story Makers
- Windrush 72nd Anniversary
- Story Makers Festival: A critical response to the imagination gap felt by children