Research at Leeds Beckett
About Lucy McCombes
Lucy McCombes is a tourism and community development professional with an academic background in Social Anthropology of Development and Responsible Tourism Management. She engages on a range of tourism-related external consultancy and research projects with clients including The Travel Foundation, Gambia Growth and Competiveness Project (World Bank), Virgin Holidays, Hidden Britain SouthEast, International Consumer Research and Testing, Kuoni, TUI, Hilton Worldwide and the World Travel Market.
Offering an applied and social perspective on responsible tourism development, core skills and work experience are in community participation and consultation, participatory and multi-stakeholder planning, monitoring, evaluation and social impact assessments, socio-cultural analysis, qualitative and interpretation research, and project management.
Prior to joining Leeds Beckett University in 2009, she worked for five years in urban regeneration in the UK, and for five years in community development in Mali, The Gambia, India and Jamaica. This has included working for Plymouth New Deal for Communities, PLB Consulting Ltd (natural & cultural heritage specialists), the Association of Small-Scale Enterprises in Tourism (ASSET) in The Gambia, Refugee Action and development NGOs in Mali.
She currently teaches on our MSc Responsible Tourism Management course, focusing on the Communities, Cultures and Heritage and the Tourism for Local Economic Development and Poverty Reduction modules.
Her research interests focus around what hotels and tour operators can do in practice to manage their social impacts more responsibly. She is working towards a PhD with the University of Groningen in the Netherlands.
Journal articles (1)
- Mccombes LM (2012) Tourist-Host Encounters in a Love Bubble?. In: Mccombes LM African Hosts & Their Guests. : James Currey Limited, pp. 290-315.
Conference contributions (2)
- Mccombes LM (2010) Responsible Tourism in The Gambia Serrekunda, The Gambia . : .
- Mccombes LM (2010) Taking Responsibility for the Social Impacts of Tourism Geneva . : .
- Power of Tour de Yorkshire revealed
- New research reveals powerful community legacy of Tour de Yorkshire cycle race
- Conference celebrating ten years of responsible tourism at Leeds Beckett
- Recruitment of Mauritius CSC scholarships