Lucy McCombes is a tourism and community development professional with an academic background in Social Anthropology of Development and Responsible Tourism Management. She engages on a range of tourism-related external consultancy and research projects with clients including The Travel Foundation, Gambia Growth and Competiveness Project (World Bank), Virgin Holidays, Hidden Britain SouthEast, International Consumer Research and Testing, Kuoni, TUI, Hilton Worldwide and the World Travel Market.
Offering an applied and social perspective on responsible tourism development, core skills and work experience are in community participation and consultation, participatory and multi-stakeholder planning, monitoring, evaluation and social impact assessments, socio-cultural analysis, qualitative and interpretation research, and project management.
Prior to joining Leeds Beckett University in 2009, she worked for five years in urban regeneration in the UK, and for five years in community development in Mali, The Gambia, India and Jamaica. This has included working for Plymouth New Deal for Communities, PLB Consulting Ltd (natural & cultural heritage specialists), the Association of Small-Scale Enterprises in Tourism (ASSET) in The Gambia, Refugee Action and development NGOs in Mali.
She currently teaches on our MSc Responsible Tourism Management course, focusing on the Communities, Cultures and Heritage and the Tourism for Local Economic Development and Poverty Reduction modules.
Her research interests focus around what hotels and tour operators can do in practice to manage their social impacts more responsibly. She is working towards a PhD with the University of Groningen in the Netherlands.
Journal articles (1)
- Mccombes LM (2012) Tourist-Host Encounters in a Love Bubble?. In: Beek WEAV; Schmidt AM African Hosts & Their Guests. : James Currey Limited, pp. 290-315.http://www.boydellandbrewer.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=13998
Conference contributions (5)
- Mccombes LM (2012) Responsible Tourism: A Case Study from The Gambia Univeristy of Las Palmas Gran Canaria 16/05/2012.
- Mccombes LM (2010) Responsible Tourism in The Gambia Serrekunda, The Gambia .
- Mccombes LM (2010) Taking Responsibility for the Social Impacts of Tourism Geneva .
- Mccombes LM (2010) Tourism, Local Economic Development and Poverty Reduction, Engaging with Bumsters in The Gambia: The Role of the Private Sector London .
- Mccombes LM (2010) The Business Case for Responsible Tourism Sofia .
Internet publications (1)
- Mccombes LM (2011), Key Citations on the Impacts of Tourismhttp://www.iaia.org/publicdocuments/Activity_Resources/Key_Citations/Key%20Citations_Impacts%20of%20Tourism%2011%20Mar.pdf