Research at Leeds Beckett
Professor Alan Simson
About Professor Alan Simson
Alan Simson is a Chartered Landscape Architect and Urban Forester. He has gained extensive professional experience in the UK New Towns, private practice and higher education. Currently, he is a Professor of Landscape Architecture and Urban Forestry at Leeds Beckett University, involved in research, trans-disciplinary teaching and consultancy on adaptive / landscape urbanism, urban forestry and green infrastructure. He has published widely, mostly in Europe.
He has led several European urban forestry research projects on behalf of the UK and is involved in a number of international and regional initiatives / activities, including:
- Joint-coordinator of the European Forum on Urban Forestry,
- Lead UK member of ASEM.UF (Asian-European Meeting on Urban Forestry),
- Head of Research and Enterprise, The Leeds School of Art, Architecture and Design,
- Chair of the White Rose Forest (a Leeds city region green infrastructure / urban forestry initiative),
- A Director of Concourse, the Leeds Centre for Art, Architecture and Design,
- Member of the Quality Places and Spaces Sub-Committee of the Leeds Property Forum,
- Member of Leeds Sustainable Development Group,
- Member of the Construction Industries Council Regional Committee,
- Member of the Forestry Commission's Regional Advisory Committee 2001-2009,
- Manuscript reviewer for Elsevier, Springer-Verlag and Routledge,
- Member of the Editorial Board of two international journals, and a Reviewer for four others.