Research at Leeds Beckett
Dr Ivor Timmis
About Dr Ivor Timmis
Ivor Timmis has been involved in English language teaching for around 30 years as a teacher, teacher trainer MA tutor and PhD supervisor. In the course of his work he has travelled to over 20 countries for conferences, courses and projects.
Ivor's main research interest is in the analysis and teaching of spoken language. He has published on this topic in English Language Teaching Journal and Applied Linguistics. He also has a strong interest in materials development and has worked on materials development projects for Singapore, Ethiopia and China.
Ivor is currently on the editorial panel for TESOL Quarterly and was previously on the editorial panel for English Language Teaching Journal.
- MA English Language Teaching - Research Module
- PhD supervision
In recent years much of Ivor's research has centred on spoken language, with a particular interest in historical aspects of spoken language which he has researched through the records of the 1930s mass-observation archive.
He still retains pedagogic research interests and has begun, for example, a project looking into the autonomous language development of international research students.
Journal articles (6)
- Timmis I (2015), Humanising coursebook dialogues. Innovation in Language Learning and Teaching
- Timmis IG (2015), Pronouns and identity: A case study from a 1930s working-class community. ICAME Journal, vol. 39 (1), p. 111-134.
View Repository Record
- Timmis IG (2012), Spoken language research and ELT: where are we now?. English Language Teaching Journal, vol. 66 (4), p. 514-522.
- Timmis I (2010), 'Tails' of linguistic survivial. Applied Linguistics, vol. 31 (3), p. 325-345.
- Timmis I (2009), Review of 'Conversation in context: A corpus-driven approach. ELT Journal, vol. 63 (2), p. 188-190.
- Timmis I (2008), The Lexical Approach is Dead: Long live the lexical dimension!. Modern English Teacher, vol. 17 (3), p. 5-10.
- Timmis IG (2016) Historical spoken language research: the Bolton/Worktown Corpus. . Routledge.
- Mishan F; Timmis IG (2015) Materials Development for TESOL. . Edinburgh University Press.
- Timmis I (2015) Corpus Linguistics for ELT Research and Practice. . Routledge.
- Timmis IG (2014) Evaluation: tails. In: Timmis IG Corpus Pragmatics. : Cambridge University Press, pp. 304-327.
- Timmis IG (2013) Writing materials for publication: questions raised and lessons learned. In: Timmis IG English Language Teaching Textbooks Content, Consumption, Production. : Palgrave Macmillan, pp. .
- Timmis IG (2012) Spoken language research: an applied linguistic challenge. In: Timmis IG Applied linguistics and materials development.. London: Continuum, Bloomsbury, pp. .
- Timmis IG (2012) Language in use: grammar. In: Timmis IG Basic Issues in EFL Teaching Heidelberg. : Winter, pp. 135-146.
- Timmis I (2010) Teachers telling tales: Exploring materials for teaching spoken language. In: Timmis I Perspectives on language learning materials development. Bern: Peter Lang, pp. .
- Timmis IG; Hann N; Masuhara H (2010) ESOL materials: Practice and principles. In: Timmis IG; Hann N; Masuhara H Perspectives on language learning materials development. Bern: Peter Lang, pp. .
- Hann N; Timmis IG; Alkhaldi AA; Davies B; Troncoso CR; Yong Y (2014) The impact of English on learners' wider lives. 14. British Council.
View Repository Record