Research at Leeds Beckett
Professor John Craig
About Professor John Craig
Professor John Craig joined Leeds Beckett University as Head of School of Social, Psychological and Communication Sciences in August 2015. He is a political scientist, with a strong research and applied interest in teaching and learning.
John is a National Teaching Fellow and a member of the editorial board for the Journal of Political Science Education, Higher Education Pedagogies and Learning and Teaching. He previously has taught at the University of Leeds, Teesside University, University of Huddersfield, and the Open University, and served as Head of Social Sciences and Senior Director (Education and Research), at the Higher Education Academy.
He was co-founder of the Political Studies Association Specialist Group on Teaching and Learning in 2005, and has served as Chair of the group over the last decade. He chaired the AQA Access to Higher Education Quality Assurance committee (2009-12) and C-SAP Subject Centre Board (2010-12). More recently he has served as a member of the High-Level Strategy Group for Quantitative Skills (convened by the British Academy), the QAA Review Group for the Criminology Subject Benchmark Group and the Advisory Group for BERA-RSA Inquiry on Research and Teacher Education.
Politics as a Taught Discipline. Historical inquiry into the development of political studies teaching in higher education.
Patterns of Citation in the Political Science Teaching Literature. Project analysing recent outputs through a bibliometric analysis to identify the emerging structure of the sub-discipline.
Journal articles (6)
- Craig J (2014), What Have We Been Writing About?: Patterns and Trends in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Political Science. Journal of Political Science Education, vol. 10 (1)
- Craig J (2013), Supporting Political Science Education in UK Universities: The Role of the PSA Teaching and Learning Group. European Political Science
- Craig J; Gunn A (2010), Higher skills and the knowledge economy the challenge of offshoring. Higher Education Management and Policy
- Craig J (2010), Practitioner-Focused Degrees in Politics. Journal of Political Science Education
- Craig J (2001), Putting privatisation into practice: the case of Zambia Consolidated Copper Mines Limited. The Journal of Modern African Studies
- Craig J (2000), Evaluating privatisation in Zambia: a tale of two processes. Review of African Political Economy