Professor Jonathan Glazzard
About Professor Jonathan Glazzard
Professor Jonathan Glazzard currently leads on research in The Carnegie Centre of Excellence for Mental Health in Schools. Prior to his appointment at Leeds Beckett University Jonathan led Initial Teacher Education programmes in the primary phase at the University of Huddersfield from 2005-15. In 2015 he was awarded a National Teaching Fellowship for recognition of his contribution to learning and teaching in higher education. From 2015-17 Jonathan worked at Leeds Trinity University in a cross-institutional role which required him to lead innovations in learning, teaching and assessment. In 2016 he was awarded a Principal Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy for his strategic contribution to learning and teaching.
- BA (Hons) Primary Education (accelerated degree)
- PGCE Primary Education
- MA (dissertation supervision)
- EdD/PhD research supervisor
Jonathan's research areas include inclusive education, special educational needs and / or disability in schools and early reading development in children. He has published papers on specific areas, including autism, dyslexia and speech language and communication needs. He has also authored several books to support trainee teachers. His current research focuses on the experiences of learners who identify as LGBTQ. Jonathan is interested in research which improves educational outcomes for marginalised learners. He is committed to the principle of giving voice to children and young people who have experienced discrimination in schools.
Jonathan has used a range of methodological approaches to explore issues of marginalisation. These include life history, auto-ethnography, fictional narratives, focus groups, semi-structured interviews, audio-diaries and participatory approaches.
- Mental health focus on postgraduate students
- National LGBTQ award launched by Leeds Beckett University
- Trainee teachers ill-prepared to tackle pupils’ mental health in the classroom
- Raising literacy levels in overlooked school year groups
- Pupil progress held back by teachers’ poor mental health
- More funding is needed for mental health provision in schools, new research finds
- Centre to challenge LGBTQ+ Inclusion in Education launched at Leeds Beckett
- Schools and education organisations secure £50,000 University research fund
- Active in Mind: National mental and physical health initiative launched in schools
- Leeds Beckett welcomes two new Professors of Teacher Education