Research at Leeds Beckett
Professor Simon Gardiner
About Professor Simon Gardiner
Simon is a professor in international sports law with an academic background researching and publishing in areas including corruption, regulation and governance in sport. In partnership with Leeds Business School, he is currently researching both governance and leadership in sport and how best to enhance integrity in sport.
Simon teaches undergraduates and postgraduates from both the Law School and the Business School about sports law, business and regulation. He supervises a number of PhD students.
- Research Methods
Simon currently supervises eight Ph.D. researchers.
Steve Wood: Passenger experience of security at UK airports as a result of terrorism
Ayesha Chowdhury: Preventive Detention of Suspected Terrorists: Bangladesh as a national security detention model
Leona Mydlowski: The Management of Registered Sexual Offenders by the Police
Ugo Amadi: A Sport Specific Event Right for the Protection of Intellectual properties and other Commercial Properties of Sport Event organizers in the EU
Olumide Olayinka: An examination of the continued relevance of deterrence as a goal of the criminal justice system for terrorist offenders in Nigeria
Saud Al-Farsi: Nuclear civil liability legal frameworks in the region of the Gulf Cooperation council (GCC) countries
Peter Rowley: Publicly funded National Governing Bodies of Sport (NGBs) in England: governance capability and the challenge of delivering sport for social good
Aina Salami: Land registration law and security of title in family land: Lagos Nigeria
One area Simon is currently researching, in conjunction with Leeds Business School, is governance and leadership in sport. He is looking at how governance in sports organisations can be promoted and improved so as to become more democratic and transparent and engage more effectively with issues such as bribery and match fixing.
His second area of current research centres around the meaning of the word ‘integrity’ in sport – a word used widely and superficially. He is looking at the problems caused by doping and financial corruption and possible solutions that could help regain integrity in sport.
Journal articles (6)
- Wood S; Gardiner S (In press), Policing UK Airports and Schedule 7 of the Terrorism Act 2000: The Young Passengers' Perception of Security Measures.
View Repository Record
- Gardiner, S.; Parry J; Robinson SJ (2016), "Integrity and the corruption debate in sport: where is the integrity?
View Repository Record
- Riches LJ; Gardiner S (2016), Racism and Homophobia in English Football
- Gardiner SJ (2015), Player to Player racist hate speech in football: evaluation of alternative regulatory disciplinary mechanisms
- Gardiner S; Welch R (2011), Nationality and protectionism in football: Why are FIFA's '6+5 rule' and UEFA's 'home-grown player rule' on the agenda?
- Gardiner S; Welch R (2011), Bosman-There and Back Again: The Legitimacy of Playing Quotas under European Union Sports Policy
- Gardiner S; Wolohan JT (2019) Routledge Handbook of Global Sports Law. . Routledge.
- Gardiner SJ (2014) Sports Law in the United Kingdom. International Encyclopaedia of Sports Law . Kluwer.
- Gardiner S; O'Leary J; Welch R; Boyes S; Naidoo U (2012) Sports Law. 4th Edition. Routledge.
- Gardiner SJ; Parrish R; Siekmann RCR (2009) EU, Sport, Law and Policy: Regulation, Re-regulation and Representation. . 2nd Edition Cambridge University Press/T.M.C Asser Press.
- Gardiner S; Parrish R; Sieknmann R (2009) Professional sport in the European union: Representation, regulation and re-regulation. . Cambridge University Press.
- Gardiner SJ (2018) Perspectives on ethics and integrity in football. In: Gardiner SJ Routledge Handbook of Football Business and Management. : , pp. .
View Repository Record
- Gardiner SJ (2017) Defining Corruption. In: Gardiner SJ Corruption in Sport. : Routledge Research in Sport and Corruption, pp. .
- Gardiner SJ; Welch R (2016) Nationality Based Playing Quotas and the International Transfer System Post-Bosman. In: Gardiner SJ; Welch R The Legacy of Bosman: Revisiting the Relationship Between EU Law and Sport. : , pp. .
- Gardiner SJ; Welch R (2016) Labour Mobility in Professional Sport. In: Gardiner SJ; Welch R Research Handbook of Employment Relations in Sport. : Edward Elgar, pp. .
- Gardiner SJ; Welch R (2016) Player Trades, Free Agents and Transfer Policies in Professional Sport. In: Gardiner SJ; Welch R Research Handbook of Employment Relations in Sport. : Edward Elgar, pp. .
- Gardiner SJ (2013) 'Tackling from behind: Interventions on the Playing Field. In: Gardiner SJ Law and Sport in Contemporary Society. : Routledge, pp. .
- Gardiner SJ (2013) R v Amir & Butt  EWCA Civ 2914. In: Gardiner SJ Leading Cases in Sports Law. : T.M.C. Asser Instituut, pp. .
- Gardiner SJ (2013) Adjudicative Technology in sport: legal challenges, fair play and the reification of certainty. In: Gardiner SJ Handbook of International Sports Law. : Edward Elgar Publishing, pp. .
- Gardiner SJ; Bill K (2013) Sports and the Law. In: Gardiner SJ; Bill K The Marketing of Sport. : Pearson Education, pp. .
- Gardiner SJ; Welch R (2011) 'Football, racism and the limits of 'colour blind' law: revisited. In: Gardiner SJ; Welch R Race, Ethnicity and Football: Persisting Debates and Emergent Issues. : Taylor & Francis US, pp. .
- Gardiner S (2011) Adjudicative Technology in Sport: Legal challenges, fair play and the reification of certainty. In: Gardiner S Handbook of International Sports Law. London: Edward Elgar Publishing, pp. .
- Gardiner SJ (2009) Sport and the Law. In: Gardiner SJ Sport Management. : Sage, pp. .
- Gardiner SJ (2001) The Role of Fan Power in English Professional Football. In: Gardiner SJ International Sports Law Review. : International Association of Sports Law, pp. 39-52.
Conference contributions (6)
- Gardiner SJ; Morrison D (2017) Integrity and the Duty of Candour' University of Liverpool 20170215. : .
- Gardiner SJ (2017) Integrity and Corruption in Sport Molde, Norway 20170706. : .
- Gardiner SJ (2015) Fighting Corruption in Sport: does the Sports Integrity Industry have an 'integrity deficit'? Aarhus 20151025. : .
- Gardiner SJ (2015) Fighting Corruption in Sport: does the Sports Integrity Industry have an 'integrity deficit'? 20150910. : .
- Gardiner SJ; Riches L (2015) Sport Diversity, Discrimination and the Equality Act University of Chester . : .
- Gardiner SJ (2013) Arguments for and against a World Anti-Corruption Agency 20131029. : .