Research at Leeds Beckett
About Sally Foster
Sally is a Senior Lecturer in Sociology, working in the Health Promotion group. Her teaching and research interests relate to the sociology of health and illness and food and eating.
Sally has many years of teaching experience, starting with VSO school teaching in Nigeria and moving on to tutoring for the WEA, before working in higher education, first with the Open University, and then coming to what was then Leeds Polytechnic. . She has also worked in the third sector as an ante-natal teacher and breastfeeding counsellor.
Her first degree was in Chinese and she retains an interest in China, as well as in Africa, where she worked as a volunteer straight after leaving school. In recent years she has been part of a team delivering MSc courses in the Gambia, Zambia and Ghana.
Sally is also a member of CommUNIty and is currently developing links with Hamara in south Leeds around student involvement through volunteering and placements.
Sally is the course leader for the BSc (Hons) Public Health (top-up) in Zambia, teaching modules on public health and health promotion, the management of health data and health research. She teaches elective modules on the sociology of health and illness and the sociology of food and eating, and also contributes to the MA Peace and Development.
Sally is currently involved in a research project titled 'Growing and Belonging: Food Production, Material Culture and Migrant Identities in West Yorkshire'.
Journal articles (5)
- Gerodetti N; Foster S (2016), "Growing foods from home": food production,
migrants and the changing cultural landscapes of
gardens and allotments
View Repository Record
- Dixey R; Nyambe S; Foster S; Woodall J; Baybutt M (2015), Health promoting prisons - An impossibility for
women prisoners in Africa?
View Repository Record
- FOSTER S; DIXEY R; OBERLIN A; NKHAMA E (2012), 'Sweeping is women's work': employment and empowerment opportunities for women through engagement in solid waste management in Tanzania and Zambia
- SINGLETON P; FAWKNER HJ; WHITE A; FOSTER S (2009), Men's experience of cosmetic surgery: A phenomenological approach to discussion board data
- WU S; WHITE A; CASH K; FOSTER S (2009), Nursing home care for older people in Taiwan: a process of forced choice
- Dixey R; Cross RM; Foster S; Woodall J (2013) Foundations of Health Promotion. In: Dixey R; Cross RM; Foster S; Woodall J Health Promotion: Global Principles and Practice. Wallingford: CABI, pp. .
- KANTARTZIS S; MOLINEUX M; FOSTER S (2013) 'Occupation in Greek town: flowing, emergent, flexible across time and space'. In: KANTARTZIS S; MOLINEUX M; FOSTER S Politics of Occupation-Centred Practice. : Wiley-Blackwell, pp. .
- Warwick-Booth L; Foster S; White J (2012) Healthy Communities. In: Warwick-Booth L; Foster S; White J Health Promotion: Global Principles and Practice. Wallingford: CABI, pp. .