Research at Leeds Beckett
About Sue Sherwin
Sue Sherwin is Dean for the School of Health and Community Studies. She joined our University as a Senior Lecturer in 1996 after supporting the development of the first degree in Mental Health Nursing from Leeds Beckett.
As Dean of School Sue is responsible for the quality of the research and teaching in the School. The School has five professors who support two research centres, Health Promotion and Dementia, as well as research into children's play, child protection, and prisons.
The business in the School is delivered through five subject areas, each of which is headed up by a Head of Subject :
Nursing and Healthcare
Children, Young People and Community
Psychological Therapies and Mental Health
Sue is committed to developing partnerships in our local community and overseas. The School has a number of relationships in the third sector, which are mutually beneficial, and a formal partnership for Social Work with the local City Councils. Sue has also developed partnerships overseas in Mauritius and supports the work in the Health Promotion Subject Group in Zambia and Ghana.
Sue lectures on management and leadership, and supervises student research in health.
Sue is currently undertaking doctoral study. Her research is in leadership in the public sector with a particular focus on the impact of neoliberal politics on the sector. It is hoped that this research will enhance our understanding of the impact of new public management in higher education and its impact on staff and students, and will propose a model of leadership that engages staff and students in the modern university.
Prior to being Dean of School Sue worked across the region developing service user and carer involvement in higher education. She helped to develop the regional service user and carer forum which developed policy to support and protect service user and carer involvement in the Yorkshire and Humber area. This continues to be an area of interest to Sue.
Conference proceedings (peer reviewed) (3)
- SHERWIN S; RHODES C; PLEWS C; SYMONS J (2010) 'What Matter's to US'-service user views on involvement. In: ALPS conference . Weetwood Hall, Leeds: , pp. .
- SHERWIN S; SYMONS J (2010) 'What Matter's to US'-service user views on involvement. In: Disability Research Conference . Leeds Metropolitan University: , pp. .
- SHERWIN S; SYMMONS J (2009) Supporting service users and carers for involvement in HE. In: Medical Communications Conference . Manchester: , pp. .
- Leeds Beckett global subject ranking boost
- Leeds Beckett academic into the final round for award
- Two Leeds Beckett academics invited to take part in procession to celebrate nursing
- Prestigious invitation for Emeritus Professor
- Leeds academic welcomes NHS tax suggestion
- NSS success for Nursing at Leeds Beckett