Disability Action Group
Kate Cunningham- K.T.Cunningham@leedsbeckett.ac.uk
- Thursday 10th June 2020, 13:00-14:00 via Skype
The Disability Action Group has been a forum for communication across Facilities and Service Areas. We have successfully lobbied changes to the estate and been involved in a number of developments relating to adjustments, implementation and installation of facilities for students, staff and visitors. These include;
- In response to concerns raised about access the University has collaborated with colleagues and DisabledGo to produce our Accessibility Statement
- Improved access to James Graham: ramp access and accessible automated door
- Facility for portable hoists and disabled changing room at City Campus in the Rose Bowl
- Installation of a fully accessible suite in the James Graham Building (shower, changing couch, closomat toilet, full ceiling hoist)
- Ramp access to Northern Terrace and Queen’s Square House
- Automated door in Leslie Silver Building
- Transport: Extended hours for First Bus
- Living Well Poster for Students in the University Halls of Residence; this poster is placed in all student flats and provides information on Accommodation/Security/Equality/Disability and Welfare Services available
- Sharing knowledge about issues which students with a disability have within their Halls and University premises, i.e. equipment/access and timetabling.
- Equality impact assessment of the staff absence procedure (linked to disability).
- Disability Advice
- Supporting our Students [Requires log in]
- Your rights, benefits, carers and the Equality Act
- Disability sport within Leeds
- The voice of learning disabilities
- Help and services provided by our University
The Disability Action Group was formed in 2007 as a network to address matters related to any form of disability and welcomes all staff and students within our University.
Disability refers to someone who has a physical or mental impairment or an impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on the person’s ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.
Leeds Beckett aims to make all aspects of its provision as accessible and inclusive as possible by providing a culture and environment in which students, prospective students, visitors and staff can feel comfortable and achieve their full potential. This is in line both with our responsibilities under the Public Sector Equality Duty within the Equality Act (2010) and our institutional strategic aims
The Disability Action Group is an opportunity for both staff and students to meet to address any concerns or issues that they, or fellow students, staff and visitors may be facing.
How can I join?
To join the mailing list please contact the Disability Action Group's forums chair/s.