Faith and Belief Forum
The Faith and Belief Forum is a network that welcomes all staff and students within our University.
Religion and belief is a protected characteristic that refers to religion, faith, belief, and non- belief.
The purpose of the Forum is:
- To provide a safe, confidential and supportive environment in which to discuss issues relating to Religion, Faith, Belief and no Belief;
- To provide support and networking and share best practice across all equality strands;
- To assist in the monitoring and reporting on compliance with equality and diversity legislation and good practice;
- To contribute to the development of policies directly relating to equality and diversity, and those which indirectly affect equality and diversity issues through the equality impact assessment process
How can I join?
Our newly refurbished Faith Space is now open on the first floor of Woodhouse, City Campus for staff, students, and visitors. Find out more about our prayer rooms.
- Report and guidance on faith and belief - In conjunction with staff on the forum and other stakeholders, we produced a guide to religion and belief and a comprehensive list of faith centres in the Leeds area. This was widely consulted upon and went ‘live’ a year ago.
- Prayer Rooms - Prayer rooms or staff and students in Woodhouse, City Campus are currently being refurbished to create new prayer facilities and improve the current washrooms, installing bespoke Wudhu facilities. Work is due for completion on Friday 18 December
- Faith and student accommodation - In conjunction with CARES and Estates staff, we have received regular updates on the adjustments made to student accommodation to meet the needs of students in accommodation with different belief systems.
- Multi-Forum Festive Gathering: celebrating December religious festivals - Monday 11th 1.00pm CAEG03
- Carol Singing - Thursday 14th 12.30 - 1.30 Portland Building Entrance
- Faith and Belief Forum - Monday 15th January 12.30 City Campus (room tbc)
- Equality and Human Rights Commission
- Featured religions and beliefs with a full history and calendar of events
- Leeds New Muslims are a support group for those who have converted to, or have an interest in Islam. We are able to provide help and support to those considering becoming Muslim.
- Leeds Lubavitch are a Jewish Society based in Leeds
- The Leeds Beckett University Chaplaincy service offers spiritual guidance, support and friendship to students from both Leeds Beckett University and the University of Leeds. The chaplaincy is open to students and staff of all faiths and none.
Revd. Melvyn Kelly
I’m Melvyn Kelly and I am an ordained minister in the Methodist Church.
A long time ago I used to be a solicitor working for the CPS in North Yorkshire. For 21 years I have served the Methodist Church in Circuit ministry in charge of churches in the Bridlington and Lancashire West Circuits.
Recently my role as a minister in Ormskirk allowed me to serve part-time in the Multifaith Chaplaincy team at Edge Hill University.
Now my Church has appointed me to serve in the Universities in Leeds Chaplaincy team and to be lead chaplain to Leeds Beckett University which I am delighted to do! It is good to be back in Yorkshire too (I’m from Rastrick) after 15 years in Lancashire!
I am looking forward to the many and varied aspects that my role here will involve including serving as chair of the Faith & Belief Forum.