Race Equality and Diversity Forum
Please confirm your attendance with Forum Chair/s in case of any changes
Tel: 0113 81 25508
Annual Race Lecture 2019
Key Note Speaker: Amatey Doku, Consultant at Nous Group, former NUS Vice President.
"The Black Attainment Gap: Viewing the student experience through a race lens"
Time: 18:00 - 19:00 @ Rose Bowl, Lecture Theatre B (Level 4)
To book tickets please visit Eventbrite
African heritage in classical music
Dr Shirley Thompson; a distinguished composer, visionary artist and cultural activist who has composed extensively for television, film, theatre, dance and opera
Annual Race Lecture 2018
Roger Kline, Research Fellow Middlesex University Business School
Annual Race Lecture 2017
Celebrating Race Equality & Diversity in Education 2014: Panel Discussion
- Race Equality Charter Mark
- Race, Racism and Racialisation in HE and Beyond; the 1st Race Equality and Diversity Forum Biennial Lecture October 17th 2012 The Rose Bowl, Leeds Beckett University. The event was hailed as a resounding success by the over 70 delegates that booked and those who turned up on the evening. The feedback has been excellent and there is much anticipation for the 2nd Lecture in the series in 2014! Keynote speakers were: Joan Saddler (National Director for Patient and Public Affairs at the National Health), Piara Powar (Executive Director of the FARE Network Football against Racism in Europe) and Kadija George (Literary Activity, Editor and Publisher of Sable Lit Mag).
- Work continues on our submission for the newly created Race Equality Charter Mark, a national initiative supported by the Equality Challenge Unit. Thank you to everyone who took part in our online survey last November as part of this. We subsequently held a number of focus groups with our staff and students from black and minority ethnic backgrounds supported by our Race Equality and Diversity Forum and the Student Union. The information from these, alongside a comprehensive range of ethnicity data, underpins the development of our institutional action plan which will shape our future race agenda and which is where the real journey begins.
- Equality and Human Rights Commission
- Race Equality Charter Mark
- Ethnic Relations: A Perspective from Critical Rationalism
- Solomos, J., & Hill Collins, P. (2010). Introduction in: The SAGE handbook of race and ethnic studies. London, SAGE.Introduction: Situating Race and Ethnic Studies
- Shades of white: an examination of whiteness in sport (Jonathan Long and Kevin Hylton)
- Delivering Diversity: Race and Ethnicity in the Management Pipeline (Prof Nic Beech, Prof Nelarine Cornelius, Dr Lisi Gordon, Prof Geraldine Healy, Prof Emmanuel Ogbonna, Dr Gurchathen Sanghera, Chidozie Umeh, Dr James Wallace, Patrick Woodman).
- The Equality Challenge Unit (ECU)
- www.bmepsychology.com - A project designed to help psychology diversify away from its White, Western focus by signposting to BME and anti-racist psychological work.
- Racial Diversity Matters: The Impact of Diversity-Related Student Engagement and Institutional Context in: Am Educ Res J June 2009 vol.46 no.2 pp.322-353
- Race in the workplace, The McGregor-Smith Review
- Race in the workplace, Government response to Baroness McGregor-Smith
- Exploring black and minority ethnic (BME) doctoral students' perceptions of an academic career
Our University's Race Forum was created in 2010 with a remit to meet at least 4 times in the year to discuss, promote and air concerns students or staff may have affecting Race and Equality at the university.
Under the Equality Act 2010, ‘Race’ refers to a group of people defined by their race, colour, and nationality (including citizenship) ethnic or national origins. We aim to promote and raise awareness of issues affecting all staff and provide mechanisms and guidance for enhancing their contribution to Leeds Beckett. BME staff and students are under-represented in our University and a significant focus of the work of the Group.
How can I join?
To join the mailing list please contact email@example.com