Rainbow Rose Forum
Our University's LGBT group is a network for matters related to sexual orientation equality and is open to all staff and students.
Leeds Beckett University is a strong supporter of sexual identity and gender identity (SOGI) equality. The network acts as a staff/student voice on SOGI issues within the University’s community. We value working intersectionally with other staff/student fora and action groups across the university, with strong links to LGBTQIA+ networks in the wider community and other Higher Education institutions in Leeds.
LGBTQIA+ is a common abbreviation that embraces a matrix of various sexual orientations and gender identities, the letters stand for; Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual/Pansexual, Trans, Queer/Genderqueer, Intersex and Agender/Asexual/Ally, with the + indicating that the list is far from complete.
- To provide a safe, confidential and supportive environment in which to discuss issues relating to sexual orientation including Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans (LGBT) identity;
- To provide support and networking and share best practice across all equality strands;
- To assist in the monitoring and reporting on compliance with equality and diversity legislation and good practice;
- To contribute to the development of policies directly relating to equality and diversity, and those which indirectly affect equality and diversity issues through the equality impact assessment process.
How can I join?
To join the mailing list please contact the Rainbow Rose Chair, Ian Lamond
Rainbow Rose Forum Meet ups
Please confirm your attendance with Forum Chair/s in case of any changes
Stonewall Top 100 Employer
Our University has been a Stonewall Diversity Champion since 2009 and are proud to have been recognised in the Stonewall Top 100 list of employers from 2014 to 2017.
Find out more about Stonewall https://www.stonewall.org.uk/
- The Complete Guide to Studying and Living in the UK as an LGBT student
- Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (FFLAG) is a national voluntary organisation supporting the parents and families of LGB people
- Stonewall is the UK's largest campaigning and lobbying group on LGB issues
- Friends of Dorothy- charity supporting older members of the LGBTQIA+ community
- The Rainbow List (Pink List until 2014) is produced annually by The Independent to celebrate the contributions of individuals from the LGB communities.
The Rainbow List
- Jewish and Gay Lesbian Group is an organization that supports gay and lesbian Jewish people
- Quest is a Group for Lesbian and Gay Catholics. It has a network of local groups across the country which meets regularly for Mass, discussion and social events
- Imaan supports LGBT Muslim people, their families and friends, to address issues of sexual orientation within Islam
- Sarbat is a national organisation that provides information and resources for Sikhs who are Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or Transgendered
- The Gender Trust – a charitable organisation dealing with gender
- Leeds Pride
- Switchboard LGBT+ , a support network, which has national links
- Leeds Pride 2018
- Leeds Pride 2018 Playlist available on Spotify
- Leeds Equalities Assembly
- LGBT Sports Club
- LGBT Leeds
- Leeds Freedom Quarter
- Where does the Rainbow Rose flag come from?
At Leeds Beckett we are committed to gender identity equality and value the diversity of our university community. Our Code of Practice on Trans Equality and Gender Identity sets out our responsibilities for trans students and staff. You can find out more information on our Trans Support page.
Yorkshire Trans* Support Network
Yorkshire Trans* Support Network is a Yorkshire based social and support group for all Trans* people, their families and friends. It runs various social groups, including one in Leeds.