Welcome January 2021
Parents, carers, and guardians
Welcome parents, carers, and guardians
As a parent, guardian, or carer, you play a key role in preparing your loved one for university and supporting them throughout their student journey.
This page is full of information to assist you in supporting a friend or family member through the first stages of their university journey.
You can ensure they get the best possible start with us by helping them work through the checklist below
- Applied for Student Finance
- Registered with our Disability team if they have, or think they may have, a disability.
- Registered and enrolled with our Online Welcome service.
- Uploaded a passport-style photograph for their Campus Card via Online Welcome.
- Checked their Induction Timetable via Online Welcome. This will tell them what Course Induction sessions they are required to attend.
- Checked their arrival date and time if in university accommodation. This will be emailed out to them a few weeks before they’re due to arrive. Our Accommodation web pages also have a useful 'what to bring' section.
- Prepared a checklist of useful items to bring to university
- International Students can find all their arrival information online, including how to get to Leeds, visas and immigration, how to pay your tuition fees, accommodation options and more.
MoneyWhere possible, it is a good idea for new students to bring enough money to last for the first fortnight at university, for food, university materials and transport. Their student loan will not enter their account until at least the first day of term, which is the Monday after Welcome.
Finance is one of the things which causes the most worry for students, so it is important that they are realistic about how much they have available to spend and that they learn to budget. They may wish to work part time to help fund their time at university.
If they are concerned about money, debt or they need help with budgeting, please suggest they access the information on our Money Advice pages. T hey will also find out about financial support that they may be entitled to as a student.
If they’re staying in our Halls of Residence then contents insurance is included in the rent. You can find our policy details here.
A TV license is required to watch live or on-demand TV on any device that is plugged in. However, they may be covered by your out-of-term address license as long as:
- Their device is not plugged in while they watch and it's only powered by its own batteries
- It's not hooked up to an aerial
You can read more about TV Licensing for students here.
Term datesTeaching timetables will be made available to students before the end of the Welcome programme. A full list of term dates, by academic year is available here.
We care like you do
Rest assured, that the safety and wellbeing of our students is our absolute priority. We want to ensure they have the best possible student experience and a journey with us that prepares them for life beyond Leeds Beckett University. Should they experience any challenges along the way, we will be there to offer advice and support.
Student Advice Hub
Should the student you are supporting require any help or support, now or in the future, the Student Advice Hub is a great place to start. The team comprises of both officers and advisors who are trained in all aspects of student life, many of whom are Leeds Beckett graduates so know first hand what it is like to be a student with us. Students are able to ask this team any question and if they don't have the answer, they will certainly put the student in touch with someone who does.
Our academic and professional services staff work together to form a coherent support network for students. Often students will choose who they feel most comfortable talking to. All academic and support services available to students are listed in this guide to the student support network.
Student Health Guide
The Student Health Guide provides loads of advice and tips on getting settled and staying healthy.
This page was last modified: 29/10/2020