Research degrees at Leeds Beckett
Leeds School of Arts Professional Doctorate studentships
Leeds School of Arts at Leeds Beckett University are offering three reduced fee places on their Professional Doctorate in Creative arts.
The School are seeking applications from international students whose research fits into one of the themes detailed below. Successful candidates will join our Professional Doctorate in Creative Arts in October 2021 and be able to take part in a structured learning programme for the first twelve months, which is delivered at a distance.
The Professional Doctorate is a part time programme that will allow the successful candidates to remain in their own country whilst working on a research question that falls into one of the themes below, interlinking Doctoral study with their own career. Applicants should note that the Professional Doctorate in Creative arts is a part time doctoral course that does not qualify for a student route visa, applicants wishing to come to the UK may find the conventional PhD to be more appropriate.
Candidates should complete the online application form including:
- A brief CV (no more than 2 pages)
- Up to 3 sides of A4 with an outline of how you would approach the research project described above, including background literature, aims, objectives and a research plan using type Arial 12 font
- Applicants should outline explicitly their suitability and how their chosen topic of Doctorate will meet the bursary theme and how their research will contribute to the relevant Research group and the Leeds School of Arts.
- Applicants are asked to include at the start of the proposal the research project title
- Applicants should use the research project reference (FILM /theme), (ART/ Research group title) as the subject in the email subject line when submitting their applications
The deadline for applications is 24 May 2021.
The criteria listed below will be used in selecting those applicants who will be called for interview on either 16 or 18 June 2021.
- A good undergraduate degree
- A Masters degree qualification is desirable
- Satisfaction of English Language and other admission requirements of Leeds Becketts University for doctoral students
- Coherent proposal displaying subject and methods knowledge
FILM BASED RESEARCH THEMES
Film based research themes include:
- Immersive Media
- Film history with a focus on British cinema
- Gender in film or genre filmmaking
- Music production and performance
- Electroaccoustic composition
- Performance and the archive
- Postproduction effects and digital animation
- Dance and choreography
- Embodiment in performance
ARTS BASED RESEARCH GROUPS AND STRANDS
Autism Research Group
- Participatory design of technology that enables autistic people to engage in education, work, with their family and in their community, so that they can lead full and happy lives
- Embedding 'autism-friendly design' in the university curriculum, influencing the designers and architects of the future and helping autistic people to cope with their physical and sensory surroundings
- Improving teacher training at all levels of education, with the aim to adapt curricula, professional practice and the way educational institutions view autism to allow full participation of autistic learners
- The social inclusion of autistic people through employment and employment-related practices, such as helping employers and colleagues gain a better understanding of the differences and strengths of autistic people
Co-Design Research Group
- Co-Design in autism
- Co-design in international/community development
- Co-Design in education
- Co-Design in the built environment
- Co-Design in employability
- Community based design
Contemporary Art & Dementia Research Group
- Collaborations between arts and health professionals with domestic and residential contexts
- Development of collaborative contemporary art with those on the dementia journey
Critical Theory Research Group
- Contemporary Art Theory
- Visual cultures and philosophy
Curating Research Group
- Hybrid and multi-platform curatorial practice
- Curation for collaboration and interdisciplinary production
- New media curation
Experimental Publishing Research Group
- Conceptual writing
- Experimental writing
- Multi-platform publishing
- Visual writing in graphic design
Feminist Research Group
- Humour and the absurd in feminist practice-as-research
- Action and the archive in contemporary feminist art practice
- Art for social change
Fashion & Sustainability Research Group
- Sustainable garment design and production
- Sustainable approaches to fashion retailing
- Teaching sustainable fashion practices
- Regenerative fashion systems
Participatory Research Group
- Social Art
XR (Extended Reality) Research Group
- Augmented Reality
- Virtual Reality
- Extended Reality
- New media
- Hybrid art practices
The offer is for 5 years of funding at the home/Eu rate, applicants pay £4,500 each year. This is a saving of £3000 per year and a saving of £15000 for the duration of the course. As stated above applicants will also study at a distance in their own country meaning there are no costs involved with relocating to the UK.
- • The start date of the studentship is 1 October 2021
A laptop will be provided and office space (subject to LBU COVID19 arrangements for return to campus) and the opportunity to apply for funding to support the research project.
Prospective students from outside of the UK and EU who wish to apply to study at Leeds Beckett University will be required to make up the difference annually between the UK/EU fees to be paid by the University of £14,000 and overseas’ fees of £4,407.
The fee difference must be paid prior to starting. Overseas applicants must refer to the UKVI regulations on studying in the UK and contact email@example.com - telephone: +44 (0)113 812 5385 before submitting.
We expect bursary students to be an integral part of the research culture of the university, contributing to seminars and conferences, perhaps to projects, and generally engaging in the exchange of ideas. Associated with this, all research students.