University Business Centres
Business Advantage Awards
I have set up and run a business myself” said Russell Davidson, Director at Lupton Fawcett, “So I know how tough it can be in the early stages. Through our award scheme we would like to support the next generation of high flying entrepreneurs, to do our part in creating the stars of the future and supporting job creation and growth within the local economyRussell Davidson, Director at Lupton Fawcett
Access over £6000 of free legal, accountancy and banking advice and support.
The Business Advantage Awards is an annual competition delivered in partnership with Leeds law firm Lupton Fawcett, accountants WGN and Yorkshire Bank which provides advice and support to early stage businesses who are looking to grow.
Five awards in total will be presented (one is reserved for a student of Leeds Beckett University / Wakefield College). Each winner will receive:
- Up to 50 hours of legal support and mentoring, valued at over £5000, from a solicitor with expertise in fields such as Intellectual Property, employment law, taxation and premises legal support.
- £1000 of accountancy support will be provided by WGN
- 36 months free business banking from Yorkshire Bank.
In the last 5 years over 25 businesses have benefitted from the awards.
“’The support and advice given to us via the Award has proven to be invaluable, we have set up business banking with Yorkshire bank and have used Lupton Fawcett to form employee contracts and a shareholders agreement. This has given us a solid foundation and huge cost savings. We have 100 cleaners ready to be approved onto our platform, the final hurdle is ensuring everything is technically efficient before we hopefully launch in November.”
The winners in 2019 were:
- Candle Digital, set up by Andy Jack and Mark Langdale, work with training providers and coaching professionals to help create digital training products online. The business is based in the University Business Centre Halifax
- Dilishque, set up by Krishna Patel, who manufacture authentic curry paste pots to allow the consumer to recreate Indian home cooking
- Evoke Media Group - a film and media production company
- Lemonbalm - a therapeutic horticulture social enterprise run by Leeds Beckett student Isabel Swift
- Binary Forge Ltd, a new software consultancy business specialising in Internet of Things devices based in the University Business Centre Wakefield