My course was focused on preparing us for what the industry is like

Alumni story | Harry Lock, Filmmaking BA (Hons) - 1st Class

Harry Lock holding camera

Harry currently works at Candour Productions, originally working there through a work experience placement which was part of the filmmaking course. He has been series editor on BBC3's ‘How not to Die’, filmed on the BAFTA nominated 'The Family Secret' and is a commercial drone operator for all of their productions. He won the RTS Yorkshire's 'One to Watch' award at the 2019 awards.

• Course: Filmmaking BA (Hons) - 1st Class

Tell us a bit about yourself and what you've been doing since you graduated

My current role is a shooting researcher at Candour Productions, a Leeds-based independent documentary production company. I was first introduced to the company by my lecturer Patricia Doherty who got me some work experience while in my third year. After the work experience, I was taken on a six-month scholarship with the company and when that finished was taken on full time. It’s been a brilliant start to such a fun and interesting industry to work in!

What have been the highlights and challenges of your career so far?

I’d say the main challenges with my job are having to be very flexible and up for working lots of different hours all over the country – but I don’t mind it too much as I enjoy the work we do!

During my time at Candour I’ve been lucky enough to work on lots of varied and exciting productions for TV and online, including Channel 4’s BAFTA nominated The Family Secret, working with Stacey Dooley on BBC’s Stacey Dooley And The Lockdown Babies and being series editor on BBC3’s How Not To Die. I’m also a commercial drone operator and do most of the aerial filming for our productions, which is really fun!

CANDOUR SHOWREEL

How has your experience studying at Leeds Beckett influenced you and your career?

Studying at Leeds Beckett University was invaluable to my route into my career. My course was focused on preparing us for what the industry is like and there were lots of networking opportunities through trips or guest speakers that gave us direct connections to people working in the industry. I’d say the most valuable part of the course was the organised work experience that was mandatory for the course. This got us out into the industry and encouraged us to do much more than just lectures and essays!

While at university I met lots of like-minded students and lecturers, and this made it much easier to network and make connections. The course itself prepared me with lots of technical knowledge that meant I wasn’t starting from the bottom and enabled me to progress quickly following graduation.

What advice would you give someone thinking about studying this course?

I’d tell anyone thinking about studying this course to get stuck in as much as possible, talk to lots of students and lecturers, and always be on the lookout for work experience opportunities. I did lots of work experience while at university and these often led to paid work down the line. The course content is great but applying it to the real world is where it matters if you want to work in the industry you’re studying.

What's next for you?

My next step is working towards my first assistant producer credit which is the next challenge for me in my career progression. I’m really enjoying my journey, the work I’m doing and looking forward to what the future holds.

WHAT WILL YOUR STORY BE?

Studying with us is a great choice, check out some of our courses and see for yourself!

BA (Hons)

Filmmaking

Camera and crew filming scene