Beneficial impact within and beyond the education sector
We are a School that is seeking to redefine the education and professional development of the children and young people’s workforce. We offer distinctive and creative programmes that are responsive to the changes taking place in society, focusing on the diverse skills required of modern professionals. For example, our BA Early Years with Enterprise programme combines an early years education with the knowledge and expertise to run a profitable business, the twin talents that successful nursery owners and workers require. For practising professionals, our innovative MRes programme in Professional Practice offers the opportunity to gain academic support and accreditation for applied development work that they may already be carrying out, or be about to carry out, in their workplace.
We are also researching and developing new approaches to improving pupils’ learning. For example, we recognise the value of drama and creative writing, which can both be used to enhance learning in subjects right across the curriculum. Our research in this area has resulted in our MA in Drama and Creative Writing in Education, which is of value to teachers of all subjects. The satisfaction of our students has advanced significantly over the course of a year, in part due to the fact that students feel as though they are joining an academic community, in which they are involved in the research work of their academic colleagues, positioning our students as co-creators of knowledge.
Carnegie Leaders in Learning is located within the School and has a long-established prestigious reputation for its role in developing leaders in the education sector. Our programme of continuous professional education is being developed significantly and will draw on our original research to offer development programmes that are at the leading edge of education practice.
The School is committed to having a deep, beneficial impact within and beyond the education sector. We have recently been selected by Lloyds bank to evaluate their school governor programme which contributes to the bank's CSR commitment. We are also developing a Multi Academy Trust that will support and aid the development of a number of our regional schools, bringing the support and resources offered by the university even closer to the experience of teachers in school.
Our Academic Team
- BA (Hons) Early Childhood Education (2 year route) leading to QTS
- BA (Hons) Early Childhood Education (3 year route) leading to QTS
- BA (Hons) Primary Education (3 year route) leading to QTS
- BA (Hons) Primary Education (5-11) with recommendation for QTS
- BA (Hons) Primary Education (Early Years 3-7) with recommendation for QTS
- BA (Hons) Primary Education (Accelerated)
- PGCE Early Childhood Care and Education (0-5) with recommendation for EYTS
- PGCE Primary Education (Early Years, 3-7) with recommendation for QTS
- PGCE Primary Education (5-11) with recommendation for QTS
- PGCE Primary Education Physical Education specialism (5-11) with recommendation for QTS
- PGCE Secondary Education (11-16) with recommendation for QTS - Art & Design
- PGCE Secondary Education (11-16) with recommendation for QTS - Biology
- PGCE Secondary Education (11-16) with recommendation for QTS - Computing
- PGCE Secondary Education (11-16) with recommendation for QTS - Design and Technology
- PGCE Secondary Education (11-16) with recommendation for QTS - Geography
- PGCE Secondary Education (11-16) with recommendation for QTS - Mathematics
- PGCE Secondary Education (11-16) with recommendation for QTS - Music
- PGCE Secondary Education (11-16) with recommendation for QTS - Physical Education
- PGCE Secondary Education (11-16) with recommendation for QTS - Physics
- BA (Hons) Childhood Studies
- BA (Hons) Early Years with Enterprise
- BA (Hons) Education Studies
- Special Educational Needs - Advanced Diploma
- Special Educational Needs - Cert HE
- MA Childhood Studies & Early Years
- MA Drama and Creative Writing in Education
- MA Education
- PG Cert Special Educational Needs Coordination
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education - Distance Learning
- MRes Professional Practice
- EdD Professional Doctorate in Education
CPD: Carnegie Leaders in Learning
Carnegie Leaders in Learning has a strong track record of delivering professional development to schools across the Yorkshire and Humber region and beyond. We have worked with schools for more than 14 years and core to our approach is a commitment to delivering a service that is personalised, flexible and reliable.
Carnegie Great Outdoors is a leading provider of outdoor education, adventure activities and leadership development.
The Centre for Research & Innovation in Childhood, Education and Society is an inclusive and expanding hub which supports all collaborative ventures leading to the creation, interpretation and dissemination of new knowledge and the sharing of expertise in related areas across the University and the wider communities it serves. We also operate the Carnegie Research Pathway for Teachers that aims to develop practitioners who can research and evaluate practice within educational settings to find out what really works for students and help to improve teaching standards in their school.
Leeds Beckett students team up with Fuel for School to bring healthy food into the classroom
Education students at Leeds Beckett are helping primary schools across West Yorkshire to teach children about healthy diets and avoiding food waste as part of an initiative by the Real Junk Food Project.
Leeds Beckett and Microsoft collaborate to develop a new global standard in teacher education
The Carnegie School of Education at Leeds Beckett University is collaborating with Microsoft to lead the development of the Microsoft Student Teacher Education Programme.
Sleeping problems cause health, relationship and employment difficulties for families of children with autism, new study finds
Fathers of children with autism report that their child’s sleeping problems cause difficulties with health, relationships and employment within their families, a new study from Leeds Beckett University shows.
A Woman's World
9-31st March 2017 - A photography exhibition by Anna Pepe will be displayed in the foyer of the Portland Building. A Woman's World, is The exhibition explores women, places, cultures and habitats around the world.
Creative and Digital Careers Series
The Creative & Digital Careers Series of events is open to existing Leeds Beckett University students studying any course. Some events are also open to Leeds Beckett University graduates and members of the public.
CeASR / Psychology Seminar - Mathematics Anxiety: Causes, Consequences and Strategies to Reduce it
Speaker: Dr Tom Hunt, University of Derby
How universities make people worried and miserable: a critical community psychology perspective on mental health in higher education
My Mind and Me
Alternative Realities: Is there such a thing as 'healthy psychosis'
Why does 'psychosis' have to imply 'illness'?
Forward Leeds Presents: Drugs, alcohol & mental health in the student population
Forward Leeds supports adults and young people to make healthy choices about alcohol and drugs.