Beneficial impact within and beyond the education sector
We are a School that is seeking to redefine the education and professional development of the children and young people’s workforce. We offer distinctive and creative programmes that are responsive to the changes taking place in society, focusing on the diverse skills required of modern professionals. For example, our BA Early Years with Enterprise programme combines an early years education with the knowledge and expertise to run a profitable business, the twin talents that successful nursery owners and workers require. For practising professionals, our innovative MRes programme in Professional Practice offers the opportunity to gain academic support and accreditation for applied development work that they may already be carrying out, or be about to carry out, in their workplace.
We are also researching and developing new approaches to improving pupils’ learning. For example, we recognise the value of drama and creative writing, which can both be used to enhance learning in subjects right across the curriculum. Our research in this area has resulted in our MA in Drama and Creative Writing in Education, which is of value to teachers of all subjects. The satisfaction of our students has advanced significantly over the course of a year, in part due to the fact that students feel as though they are joining an academic community, in which they are involved in the research work of their academic colleagues, positioning our students as co-creators of knowledge.
Carnegie Leaders in Learning is located within the School and has a long-established prestigious reputation for its role in developing leaders in the education sector. Our programme of continuous professional education is being developed significantly and will draw on our original research to offer development programmes that are at the leading edge of education practice.
The School is committed to having a deep, beneficial impact within and beyond the education sector. We have recently been selected by Lloyds bank to evaluate their school governor programme which contributes to the bank's CSR commitment. We are also developing a Multi Academy Trust that will support and aid the development of a number of our regional schools, bringing the support and resources offered by the university even closer to the experience of teachers in school.
Our Academic Team
- BA (Hons) Early Childhood Education (2 year route) leading to QTS
- BA (Hons) Early Childhood Education (3 year route) leading to QTS
- BA (Hons) Primary Education (3 year route) leading to QTS
- BA (Hons) Primary Education (5-11) with recommendation for QTS
- BA (Hons) Primary Education (Early Years 3-7) with recommendation for QTS
- BA (Hons) Primary Education (Accelerated)
- PGCE Early Childhood Care and Education (0-5) with recommendation for EYTS
- PGCE Primary Education (Early Years, 3-7) with recommendation for QTS
- PGCE Primary Education (5-11) with recommendation for QTS
- PGCE Primary Education Physical Education specialism (5-11) with recommendation for QTS
- PGCE Secondary Education (11-16) with recommendation for QTS - Art & Design
- PGCE Secondary Education (11-16) with recommendation for QTS - Biology
- PGCE Secondary Education (11-16) with recommendation for QTS - Computing
- PGCE Secondary Education (11-16) with recommendation for QTS - Design and Technology
- PGCE Secondary Education (11-16) with recommendation for QTS - Geography
- PGCE Secondary Education (11-16) with recommendation for QTS - Mathematics
- PGCE Secondary Education (11-16) with recommendation for QTS - Music
- PGCE Secondary Education (11-16) with recommendation for QTS - Physical Education
- PGCE Secondary Education (11-16) with recommendation for QTS - Physics
- BA (Hons) Childhood Studies
- BA (Hons) Early Years with Enterprise
- BA (Hons) Education Studies
- Special Educational Needs - Advanced Diploma
- Special Educational Needs - Cert HE
- MA Childhood Studies & Early Years
- MA Drama and Creative Writing in Education
- MA Education
- PG Cert Special Educational Needs Coordination
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education - Distance Learning
- MRes Professional Practice
- EdD Professional Doctorate in Education
Carnegie Centre of Excellence for Mental Health in Schools
The Carnegie Centre of Excellence for Mental Health in Schools exists to strengthen the mental health of the next generation by supporting schools to make a positive change at all levels of the UK's education system, thereby improving outcomes and life chances.
CPD: Carnegie Leaders in Learning
Carnegie Leaders in Learning has a strong track record of delivering professional development to schools across the Yorkshire and Humber region and beyond. We have worked with schools for more than 14 years and core to our approach is a commitment to delivering a service that is personalised, flexible and reliable.
Carnegie Great Outdoors is a leading provider of outdoor education, adventure activities and leadership development.
The Centre for Research & Innovation in Childhood, Education and Society is an inclusive and expanding hub which supports all collaborative ventures leading to the creation, interpretation and dissemination of new knowledge and the sharing of expertise in related areas across the University and the wider communities it serves. We also operate the Carnegie Research Pathway for Teachers that aims to develop practitioners who can research and evaluate practice within educational settings to find out what really works for students and help to improve teaching standards in their school.
UK’s first national Centre of Excellence for Mental Health in Schools launched in Leeds
The first university Centre dedicated to strengthening mental health in schools across the whole of the UK has been established at Leeds Beckett University.
Top sports journalists and art experts join forces for Carnegie Conversations
Leading sports journalists and art experts came together to discuss the relationship between their disciplines when they hosted a guest lecture as part of Leeds Beckett University’s Carnegie Conversations series.
Leeds Beckett named amongst top teacher trainers in UK
The Carnegie School of Education has been named by the Government’s Department for Education as one of the best providers of Initial Teacher Education in the country, alongside the University of Oxford and the University of Cambridge.
Undergraduate Open Day
Our Open Days take place between June and November each year and they are a great way to find out why we are one of the most popular universities in the country.
Professorial Inaugural Lecture by Professor Shirley Anne Tate
Putting feelings into words: Racism and wellbeing in universities