As a performance student here at Leeds Beckett, I feel inspired every day by the city of Leeds. Leeds is definitely the centre of contemporary culture in Yorkshire, and it provides me with endless possibilities to submerge myself in creative, quirky and inspiring surroundings.

Bethany Milner's image of Victoria Quarter, Leeds

Shopping in Leeds is very much a cultural experience, thanks to the many historic arcades around the city centre. The Queen’s Arcade has a colourful and unique atmosphere, with lots of quirky independent shops. You’ve also got Victoria Quarter. This shopping area was built in 1900, and it has the biggest stained glass roof in Britain. Step inside and you're surrounded by glittering mosaics, and marble on the floors and walls. Victoria Quarter homes popular high-end shops including: Vivienne Westwood, Harvey Nichols and Ted Baker (a must see favourite of mine!). Finally, not to miss are the Grand Arcade and Thornton’s Arcade, which both have lots of character (particularly the amazing statement clocks, made by Potts of Leeds).

Bethany Milner image of Thornton Arcade, Leeds

Seeing theatre and performance work is an important part of my course. Fortunately, we are truly spoilt here in Leeds with well-known theatres such as the West Yorkshire Playhouse and Leeds Grand Theatre right here on our doorstep. It’s difficult to choose, but my favourite performance venue in Leeds would have to be Live Art Bistro (LAB) which is an independent artist-led venue in the heart of Leeds. It features glitter balls, lights and cutting edge performance work. I am never disappointed by the innovative work shown here, and the warm welcome received to all.

Food is a big part of any student’s life, and now and again I love nothing more than to organise a night out with my friends and grab a bite to eat. One of my favourite places to eat in Leeds is Little Tokyo, a hidden gem in the city centre that you’ll love if you’re a fan of authentic Japanese food. The prices are very reasonable, and the portions are generous. There’s even lovely Japanese décor, and a Koi fish pond! Another favourite of mine is Salvo’s in Headingley, which serves fantastic Italian food. It’s got a great, authentic atmosphere with a really well priced menu - plus the cheesy garlic bread is phenomenal.

Bethany

I'm Bethany, a third year Performance student here at Leeds Beckett University. I'm from Doncaster. My interests outside of my course include going to see live art work, whether that be a dance performance, performance art or installation work. I also love watching live music, as well as trying out all the cuisines available in Leeds with my friends.