With so many accommodation choices available at Leeds Beckett, choosing where to stay in during your first year of university can be a difficult decision. During my first year I chose to live in The Plaza – it’s a popular, modern and lively hall of residence in Leeds’ city centre.

I decided to stay in the Plaza as I wanted to live in halls that were close to university and in a central location. I also wanted the comfort of my own en-suite and double bed, and the Plaza offered both of these facilities.

In addition to each apartment's facilities, the Plaza offers a free gym on-site, which was a great, convenient way to stay fit during university. Downstairs in reception there’s a cinema room and a games room, which I particularly enjoyed as they were good areas for socialising.

During my stay I was lucky enough to be on the 8th floor, which meant I had a brilliant view of Leeds from my bedroom window. I shared my flat with four other first year students, who I got along well with. What helped us to bond was that we were able to find each other through the Facebook group before we’d even arrived. We were able to chat and find out what dates we were all moving in, and get to know each other a little. I would definitely recommend trying to find your future flat mates through accommodation groups before moving in, as it adds to the excitement and makes the experience a little less daunting.

View from The Plaza by Ellen

View from the Plaza

The Plaza is in such a good location for students studying at Leeds Beckett’s City Campus. The main university buildings, such as the 24/7 library and Rose Bowl, are only a 5 minute walk away. It's also less than a 15 minute walk to the heart of the city - including Trinity Leeds shopping centre, the Corn Exchange shopping centre and Call Lane’s bars and restaurants.

There are, however, also a number of shops and amenities just over the road from the Plaza. This includes the Merrion Centre - a shopping center which has a large Morrisons supermarket, Boots, Poundworld, PureGym, Burger King, and more convenient shops. The Plaza also has a good number of bars and clubs right on it’s doorstep, and a Wetherspoons literally across the road!

VIew of outside of The Plaza by Ellen

The Plaza

My personal favourite place to go in first year was Belgrave Music Hall and Canteen, which is only a 10 minute walk from the Plaza. It does lovely food, including individual slices of pizza, brilliant cocktails, and has a wonderful heated rooftop garden – perfect for summer or winter days and nights out.

Belgrave sign by Ellen

The Belgrave

So, if you’re stuck for where to stay during your first year of university, I would definitely recommend The Plaza. I think everyone would enjoy its modern flats and convenient central location.