My average day…

There is so much going on in and around Leeds on a daily basis, that the average day in Leeds can be a fun filled and jam packed one!

I usually start the day off with a trip to the gym, my gym is just a 20-minute walk from Headingley Campus or a 5-minute walk from my accommodation…it’s brilliant. Of course, there is also the gym at university on offer if you’d prefer to work-out on campus.

Next, I will grab a coffee for my walk home, with a Starbucks and a Costa either side of the gym there is plenty to choose from. If I am feeling tired from the gym, there are a number of buses that pick up from right outside the gym, approximately every 10 minutes. So if I’m too tired to walk I can grab one of them back home.

Then it will be time for me to head to university for an afternoon of studying. I will be based at either Headingley Campus or have the pleasure of being at the Carnegie Stadium; with my studies being a mix of lectures, seminars and practical. If I need a little pick me up during the day there is a great Campus Café (Tiki), campus shop or plenty of vending machines to grab a quick snack/drink.

If the weather is good I'll take a walk through Beckett Park back to my halls, if not, there are plenty of buses to choose from. This is really handy when you are finishing late at uni!

My friendships…

Being at Leeds Beckett and making friends was really easy for me, I have met some great people and made a lot of great friends since being here.  

In my first year I made a lot of friends in my halls, which was great for making friends; with a social space on site, a games spaces and quiet area where we could work together. This made it easy for us all to hang out together on site and I got to mingle with some of my flat mate’s course mates too.

A lot of my course mates lived in the same halls as me, so this made it easy to meet up outside of university time too. I also made a special bond with one of my flat mates who I spent a lot of time with in the flat; watching movies, cooking together, eating together and just having a general chat and a cuddle. I am now living with her and some people from her course in a house in Headingley, and I know that I have made friends for life.

In our house we love having movie nights and sitting down to have our tea together most evenings. We go on food shops together during the day, and at night enjoy a night out in town. We do enjoy a little bit of time on our own in our rooms chilling out, studying, and chatting to our family. But, the majority of the time, we’re all together – we’re usually annoying someone whilst they are trying to get stuff done!

Em's blog picture inside Puregym

So, you may be thinking 'is Leeds Beckett right for me?'...

Overall, I think that being at Leeds Beckett was the right choice for me and I thoroughly enjoy it. With everything on your doorstep it is really nice to be able to get up to a variety of things, and it’s such a friendly and fun city! Here are my tips for getting the most out of your experience here to make sure you enjoy it as much as me.

Kirkstall Brewery bus outside James Graham building

GET INVOLVED…

Get involved in as much as you can when you join – because there’s lots going on! Within your first couple of weeks at university you have the opportunity to attend Freshers’ Fair; where you can learn all about the sports clubs and societies on offer to you. I recommend going to this, it’s a great way to try new things out, and meet some of the people already in that sports team or society.

BE CONFIDENT…

When you first move into your accommodation, be confident enough to go and mingle in the kitchen when your family leave you. This is the prime time to bond and make friends with your flatmates (we still talk about it to this day), everyone is in the same boat and will be feeling the same as you!

University will be the best few years of your life, and you will make friends that will stay with you forever – so step out of your comfort zone and enjoy it!

Emily T

Hi, I’m Em and i’m a second year student at Leeds Beckett currently studying Sport Development. I was born in Leeds and then grew up in Harrogate. My hobbies match my course; I love football, going to the gym, going on walks and seeing my family & friends.