Some relevant to our current situation, some to expand your filmic knowledge. But all should be worth your time.

1) The Beach (2000): A film for those who seek escapism but doesn’t fall short from empathising with the isolation we now all currently live in.

2) The Breakfast Club (1985): On the topic of isolation and a deeper but adverse look on social distancing. An absolute classic, a personal all-time favourite.

3) Parasite (2019): If you haven’t already seen it, this is a MUST watch. Not only the first foreign language film to ever win best picture at the Oscars, it is simply a miracle of a film.

4) The Gentlemen (2019): 2019 was a good year for films, close second to Parasite is The Gentlemen. Funny throughout and an all-round enjoyable watch. You will not be disappointed.

5) Her (2013): Another one for representation of isolation. It was only ever going to be good if Spike Jonez and Joaquin Phoenix get together for a film.

6) Snow Piercer (2013): A more rugged film, with a darker tone but much quality. From director Bong Joon-ho, this future dystopic sci-fi film is also just as lyrical, funny and occasionally self-indulgent as serious in its intentions. Well worth the watch.

7) Wall-e (2008): I had to throw an animation in here, a Disney banger, arguably the best they’ve done. A perfect futuristic parable.

8) The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014): No link to our current situation, this is simply my favourite film. I couldn’t make a recommendation list without including this masterpiece. In the words of S. Jhoanna Robledo, this film is ‘much like a Faberge Egg, so much whimsy and beauty and point-of-view wrapped into a comparatively tiny 100 minutes’.

9) Kung Fu Hustle (2004): I don’t quite know how to explain this one. I’ve added it to this list for a few reasons. Firstly, I don’t think it’s a film that’s widely known although it definitely should be. I’ve never seen a film quite like it, but it’s because of this that it’s so well received from me. Not only a specialist style, it’s actually a really good watch.

10) Natural Born Killers (1994): Can’t exactly have a list without Quentin Tarantino in it. So for my last film I’ve chosen this one. Something simple, something very Tarantino but something not too engaging.