Balance is key

Balancing the many hours of coursework and rigorous reading every week, chores and work requires exercising compartmentalization. It is also important to remember that students are allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours per week during term time, so besides prioritizing coursework, one must also adhere to the law. However, this balancing act helped me sharpen the crucial real-world skills of time management and organization that come with working whilst being a student. 

Working as a global ambassador at LBU

I work as a Global Ambassador with the university which is a casual role where my job involves working with the Global Engagement team in welcoming new international students, coordinating events and activities and showing students the best that LBU and Leeds has to offer. Creating helpful content for the university as part of the Student Blog Squad is also an optional part of the work here. The best part of this job, besides being involved with the university, engaging with the diverse student body and making new friends, is the flexibility it provides. I can choose to work shifts that fit around my timetable and create content remotely at my own pace. As a student, this benefit of flexibility is very important to stay on top of the biggest job – studying!

Leeds Beckett career support services

When it comes to looking for a job, the university’s dedicated career development portal – myHub – is a key resource. It regularly posts job circulars, provides full support in creating your CV and often runs workshops with industry experts from different sectors which are great networking opportunities for students. You can also drop by at the brand-new Careers Centre, located on the ground floor upon entering the Leslie Silver Building at the City Campus, and have a chat with the helpful team there to get started with your career and skills development guidance.

Volunteering

I also volunteer with Oxfam 3 hours a week at the Headingley Shop and their Northern Logistics Hub. I found this opportunity at the university’s Volunteering Fair held every semester. Doing this, I gained valuable customer servicing and merchandising experience. Volunteering is also very rewarding as helps give back to the community. Head to the Students Union page for volunteering with the university as well, with cool opportunities available such as at Eco Soup where a few of my friends also volunteer.

Books and bills? Been there! My part-time Global Ambassador role offered flexibility, and experience, and even helped fund my adventures. Discover how the Leeds Beckett Careers Centre, myHub, and volunteering can boost your skills, all while most importantly balancing your studies. Remember, time management is key! Happy hustling!

Raida

Hi, I’m Raida. I’m an international student from Bangladesh, studying MSc Management and Marketing at Leeds Beckett Business School. I am an ambivert passionate about reading, walks, photography, a little yoga, playing some pool and a lot of travelling.