Sustainability

Student Sustainability Conference 2019 Meet the Presenters: Rachael Roberts

This blog series introduced the presenters for the 2019 Leeds Beckett Student Sustainability Conference.

Published on 23 Aug 2019

Meet Rachael, a Responsible Tourism student

Living and working in the rural Yorkshire Dales sparked my interest in sustainability and the environment of which I am passionate about. Perhaps as important to me however is the socio-cultural changes that are happening within the area in relation to communities and culture loss. After completing an undergraduate degree at Leeds Beckett University in Business I sought out a course that would combine my interest in sustainability and my experience of working within the tourism sector. I am now nearing completion of an MSc in Responsible Tourism Management and have decided to complete my presentation on an ethical tourism business plan proposal.

This proposal is important to me for a number of reasons. Not only did I receive a grade of 84 for my written feasibility study but I have also previously completed a project of a similar nature that went on to appear on George Clarke’s Amazing Spaces earlier this year. The proposed business will see the refurbishment of heritage railway carriages destined for the scrap yard transformed into luxury environmentally friendly holiday lets. Ethics will be at the heart of this business proposal which will aim to contribute towards the environmental, social and economic concerns of the area.

Read more about Rachael's project here.

Want to hear more about Rachael and her project? Get your ticket to the Student Sustainability Conference here.