[Skip to content]
To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

Student Hub

Disability Advice

Important Notices and Events

Plus Icon Sports for disabled people
If you are interested in getting involved in developing some sporting activities fro disabled people then please contact Maddy Andrews from the Students' Union. 
Plus Icon Changes to Disabled Students' Allowances

You may have heard that the Government is making changes to funding for disabled students from 2016/17.  We wanted to let you know that if you already get DSAs, there will be no change to the support you get while you remain on the same course.

If you have or feel you may have an undiagnosed specific learning difficulty (e.g. dyslexia), any other disability or long term condition which you have not declared to the University, contact the Disability Advice team as soon as possible for guidance on applying for DSA now under the current (15/16) regulations.

Plus Icon Important deadlines for requesting adjustments for exams

Exam adjustments need to be in place in advance of the start of your exam cycle and can only be recommended by the Disability Advice team. Therefore it is essential that you discuss exam adjustments with a Disability Adviser or Officer as early as possible.

To request exam adjustments to be in place for your exams you must contact Disability Advice and supply them with evidence of your disability by:

  • Friday 11th November 2016 for the January 2017 examinations;
  • Friday 10th March 2017 for the May 2017 examinations;
  • Friday 10th November 2018 for the January 2018 examinations; and,
  • Friday 9th March 2018 for the May 2018 examinations.

Make an appointment with Disability Advice

Plus Icon Contact Disability Advice

You can make an appointment to meet a Disability Adviser or Disability Officer by contacting Disability Advice by email disabilityadvice@leedsbeckett.ac.uk or telephone 0113 812 5831.

If you are a current student you can make an appointment online up to 10 days in advance via My Hub.

Can I get support?

Plus Icon Can I get support?

The University aims to ensure that all its students have full access to their study, whether they are studying full-time, part-time, distance learning or short courses. As such, whether you are already a student here, or are thinking of applying, and need assistance accessing your study as a result of a disability, we will provide you with tailored support and adjustments to enable you to engage positively with your studies.

We support students who have a disability resulting from, but not limited to:

  • long term health conditions e.g. diabetes, digestive and bowel conditions, cystic fibrosis, cancer, epilepsy, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia
  • specific learning difficulties e.g. dyslexia, dyscalculia, ADHD, autism spectrum condition
  • mental health conditions e.g. depression, anxiety, panic attacks, bi-polar, eating disorders, personality disorder
  • sensory impairments e.g. Deaf, blind, serious sight or hearing impairment
  • physical impairments e.g. back injury, arthritis, hypermobility, dexterity issues.
Plus Icon Unsure if I can get support?

You may be unsure whether you have a disability; uncomfortable with the terminology; or, uncomfortable disclosing this sensitive information. We would always encourage you to contact us to discuss this matter further as the discrete and confidential support we offer should ensure you gain the most from your university experience.

To help you identify whether you may require support, we typically provide adjustments for students who face challenges in the following areas:

  • Organising studies and managing time
  • Meeting assignment deadlines
  • Retaining and recalling written and verbal information
  • Structuring ideas in writing
  • Taking notes in lectures
  • Taking exams e.g. completing exams in allocated times, taking exams in large venues
  • Concentrating and being easily distracted
  • Staying motivated and keeping up with study schedules
  • Meeting attendance criteria
  • Adapting to new environments and changes in routine
  • Social interactions
  • Physically accessing and moving around teaching venues and facilities
  • Accessing toilet facilities
  • Following instructions
  • Participating in group work
  • Making presentations
Plus Icon Can I get support for a temporary impairment?

If you have a temporary impairment i.e. a condition that is unlikely to last for more than 12 months and/or does not have a significant impact on your day to day life, then this is not classed as a disability. As such, you should discuss your support needs with your course team instead of Disability Advice. You may need to apply for mitigation as necessary.

N.B. Exam adjustments for students with temporary impairments

If you have a temporary impairment but feel you would be fit to sit an exam with adjustments in place then course staff may complete a temporary illness and injury pro-forma to help administer and implement temporary adjustments for you.

To facilitate the completion on this form you will need to provide:

  • evidence of the temporary illness or injury to your course team.

The course team will discuss and agree with you what adjustments are reasonable and practicable. They will then complete the form and send to timetabling so that arrangements can be made.

Plus Icon What does the law say?

The Equality Act 2010 defines a person as having a disability if:

‘...you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities.’

  • ‘Substantial’ means - more than minor or trivial e.g. it takes much longer than it usually would to complete a daily task like getting dressed, writing notes.
  • ‘Long-term’ means - 12 months or more.

People with progressive conditions i.e. one that gets worse over time, will be classed as disabled.

People with recurring or fluctuating conditions e.g. arthritis, will often be classed as disabled.

What support can I get?

Plus Icon Reasonable adjustments that are tailored to your needs

All adjustments are aimed at encouraging your independence in accessing and participating in your course and student life.

How will we assess what adjustments you need?

An Adviser or Officer will contact you to discuss your needs in relation to all aspects of your University experience e.g. course, placements, study mode, living accommodation. The Adviser/Officer will develop a tailored Reasonable Adjustment Plan and/or Exam Adjustment Plan for you that will highlight the support you need.

What will the plans include?

The plans are split into key sections of your university experience and highlight your support needs relating to each area (where relevant), namely:

Reasonable Adjustment Plan:

  • Accommodation
  • Assignments
  • Attendance
  • Exams
  • Library support
  • Personal Emergency Evacuation Plans
  • Physical access
  • Placements and field trips
  • Taught sessions
  • Tutor support
  • Travel arrangements
  • Any other additional information

Exam Adjustment Plan:

  • Alternative formatting
  • Equipment
  • Exam scheduling
  • Extra time
  • Human support
  • Physical environment
  • Rest breaks

Examples of typically recommended adjustments include: ◦

  • In exams: extra time, individual rooms, use of a scribe/reader, use of PC, rest breaks, access to ergonomic furniture
  • Alternative assessments to written exams e.g. viva, presentation
  • Flexibility around assignment deadlines
  • Use of colour overlays to clarify written text
  • Permission to use a Dictaphone in taught sessions
  • Access to non-medical support workers e.g. specialist 1:1 study skills tutors, study assistants, BSL interpreters
  • Teaching notes and hand-outs in advance of sessions
  • Physical access e.g. close proximity to toilets, minimal distance between venues
  • Placement venues close to home, shorter placement working days
  • Access to assistive technology
  • Extended library loans; library book collection; directed reading lists
  • Additional tutor support: catching up on missed work, checking understanding of learning objectives

Important information about exam adjustments!

Deadlines for requesting exam adjustments

Exam adjustments need to be in place in advance of the start of your exam cycle and can only be recommended by the Disability Advice team. Therefore it is essential that you discuss exam adjustments with a Disability Adviser or Officer as early as possible.

To request exam adjustments to be in place for your exams you must contact Disability Advice and supply them with evidence of your disability by:

  • Friday 11th November 2016 for the January 2017 examinations;
  • Friday 10th March 2017 for the May 2017 examinations;
  • Friday 10th November 2018 for the January 2018 examinations; and,
  • Friday 9th March 2018 for the May 2018 examinations.

Where will your exams take place?

If you have exam adjustments recommended, your course administrator will normally contact you with details of your exam venue and the adjustments to be provided in advance of the exam period. If you have not heard anything then please contact your course administrator in the first instance to confirm what arrangements have been made.

Key information about requesting flexibility around deadlines

If you require an extension to an assignment deadline due to your disability, and have had ‘flexibility around deadlines’ recommended as part of your Reasonable Adjustment Plan, then you should be able to request an extension to your assignment deadline WITHOUT having to go through the University's mitigation process.

Please contact your course administrator in the first instance about how to request an extension in relation to your course.

Please note:

  • A request must be made each time you require an extension to a deadline as blanket extensions are not permissible.
  • Requests must be made in advance of the original deadline and cannot be made retrospectively.
  • The length of the extension will normally be negotiated and agreed with your course/module leader. Typically students receive an extension of 5 days, but it can be longer if justified and permissible within the course criteria.
Plus Icon Support accessing the University's library resources

If you need help with a disability related issue in the Library, Sue Smith is the Learning Support Officer (Disability and Dyslexia).

She can provide assistance with:

  • the Disability Resource Areas
  • assistive software
  • using Library services and equipment
  • researching a topic including journals
  • searching the catalogue
  • finding your way around the Library
  • referencing and bibliographies
  • obtaining items in accessible formats
  • or any other library query

N.B. The library hosts SensusAccess software that allows you to convert written documents into different formats including audio output e.g. MP3 files, for FREE. The software can convert scanned materials and photos of written text as well as original texts.

For further details about library support please visit the library website.

Plus Icon Support accessing computer technology

Assistive software available at the university

There is a range of free assistive software available on the computers in the libraries at both our City and Headingley campuses e.g. screen readers, voice input software, mind-mapping software, screen magnification and navigation tools. For further details please visit the library software website.

Support and training in using the University’s assistive software

Training in the use of software may be available from:

Skills for Learning also run workshops providing training in the use of:

  • Mind mapping using Inspiration software and also MindView software - This workshop will provide an introduction to the mind mapping package MindView. Mind mapping is useful for "brainstorming" a problem or idea and is an effective study technique which you can use to plan essays and reports as well as a memory aid for revision. The workshop shows you how to create a basic mind map and apply your own customisations such as design colours, images and notes. The software is currently available on every computer in the library.
  • TextHelp Read and Write software: Reading, writing and scanning tools - After this workshop you should be able to use some of the features of TextHelp Read & Write software. This includes using utilising the text to speech functions, converting text into sound files, spellchecking and dictionary functions. TextHelp Read & Write contains features beneficial to a wide range of students and staff. As the software is available on all University computers why not see how you could benefit!
  • TextHelp Read and Write software: Research tools - This workshop will cover the Research features of TextHelp Read & Write software. Use the Fact Folder to collect all of your research sources into one place and create a bibliography of all your sources which can easily be exported into a Word document. The Study Skills tool allows you to add coloured highlights to sections of text in Word documents and web pages. These could be useful information for assignments, quotes or things you need to research further. Extract these highlights into a new document, including the bibliography of where you found the highlighted text, which is useful when researching for assignments. You can also create your own vocabulary lists.

Borrow equipment that will allow you to work independently

Leeds Beckett’s Audio Visual (AV) Loans service offers a range of AV equipment, including laptops and dictaphones and digital audio recorders, for students to borrow free-of-charge, to help with their studies. The loans service is located in the libraries at the City and Headingley campuses. For more information about this service please visit the AV Loans service website.

Plus Icon Support with your mental health and wellbeing

The Student Wellbeing Team offers a free and confidential service aimed at providing students with information, practical and therapeutic support to help them manage any difficulties they are experiencing. For further details and information about how to contact and register with the service please visit the Student Wellbeing website.

Plus Icon Support with your living accommodation

If you have particular accommodation needs as a result of a disability e.g. ground floor, wheelchair access, en-suite, separate fridge, quiet room, carer’s room, alternative alarms/alerts, hoist then please contact our Accommodation Service as soon as possible in the application process to make them aware of your needs. The accommodation team will then liaise with you and Disability Advice, as necessary, to discuss the provision of your support needs in more detail.

Please be aware that demand for certain types of accommodation e.g. wheelchair access, can be high and whilst we make every effort to meet your needs we cannot guarantee that certain types of accommodation will be available. Accommodation is normally allocated on a ‘first come, first served’ basis and operates a waiting list. The allocation of rooms commences as early as 8 months before the start of each new academic year. N.B. during the academic year, accommodation may become available again e.g. if a student decides to move out, and our accommodation staff will contact you regarding this.

Accommodation for carers

If you need a resident personal carer, the University can provide accommodation but you will need to ensure that the cost of the carer’s room can be met. Home fee paying students may be able to reclaim the cost of the carer’s accommodation from their home area Social Services Department. Students wishing to request financial support from their Social Services Department must ensure that, following a community assessment, the ‘Care Plan’ recommends provision of a personal assistant/carer.

Changes to Disability Living Allowance and the introduction of the Personal Independence Payment

Did you know that Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is being replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP)? For further details on how you could be affected please visit the Student Money Advice website.

Plus Icon Physical access to teaching venues

The majority of teaching venues have lift access between floors and accessible toilets are available within all buildings. Click here for further information about available facilities, and visiting and navigating around the campuses.

Plus Icon Access to parking spaces

Blue badge holders

If you are a blue badge holder you can register with our Parking Service to gain access to the University car park in your required parking zone. You need to register by uploading a scanned copy of your blue badge to this address. Parking services will then send you the necessary access fob/card to gain entry to your required parking zone (this will either be for Headingley campus or one of the car parks at City campus). You will not receive a windscreen permit, but you must display your blue badge in your car whilst it is parked on campus. Blue badge holders will not be charged for parking.

Non-blue badge holders

Students with a disability not covered by the Blue Badge scheme and who require access to parking as a result of their disability should contact Disability Advice for an assessment of their needs. It MAY be possible to access parking at the Headingley campus if your request is supported by Disability Advice.

Plus Icon Extenuating/Mitigating circumstances

The University recognises that, from time to time, students may encounter issues which may prevent them from being able to submit or take an assessment. Where this is the case, students may be able to submit their ‘extenuating circumstances’ for consideration. Students will need evidence to prove their situation. The Students’ Union (SU) Advice Service can offer guidance on this process and what evidence needs to be presented.

Plus Icon Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs)

You may be eligible to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) if you choose to. Please note that this process can take up to 14 weeks from the point of submitting your application form so in order to avoid any unnecessary delays in accessing the full range of support, make sure you apply as soon as possible.

In order to apply for DSAs you need to submit an application form to your funding body with evidence confirming your disability (ensure you keep a copy of the originals for your own records). Upon approval of your application, the funding body will send you a confirmation letter (DSA1) letter stating that you need to arrange a Study Needs Assessment. Your letter should advise you to contact an Assessment Centre so you can go for an Assessment of your Study Needs. Our university has its own Assessment Centre to book an appointment email dac@leedsbeckett.ac.uk, or alternatively you can attend any Assessment Centre listed here www.dsa-qag.org.uk and you can filter by area to see which is most convenient for you. Please note that WE DO NOT receive a copy of the letter so if you’re not sure what to do please contact us on 0113 812 5831 or disabilityadvice@leedsbeckett.ac.uk.

How do I get support?

Plus Icon How do I get support

Disability Advice staff can provide advice and guidance on all aspects of accessing disability-related support during your time at University so please feel free to contact us at any point if you require assistance. 

1. Get in touch with us as early as possible

We strongly encourage all applicants who require academic adjustments to disclose this information to the university as soon as possible during the application process for example via a UCAS application form and/or University application form. We encourage you to do this to enable support needs or any adjustments required to be assessed and implemented in readiness for the start of your course.

If you haven’t disclosed a disability or told us about your support needs before you arrive then we would still encourage you to contact us at any point during your study. This may mean there is a delay in implementing the support you require and a potential impact on accessing your study so the sooner you contact us the better.

2. Provide evidence and consent to share your reasonable adjustments

If you require reasonable adjustments to your academic studies you must provide evidence of your disability, specific learning difficulty or long term health condition and complete our consent to share form. 

Please refer to our Guidance for Medical Evidence document which you can give to your GP or other health professional to help you to write a suitable letter of evidence and explains what information we are looking for. 

For students with a specific learning difficulty (spld) such as dyslexia or dyspraxia, we require a diagnostic report written by an Educational Psychologist or Specialist Teacher with a practising certificate in diagnosing specific learning difficulties. However if you don’t have this, we would still encourage you contact us with any evidence that you do have and we will review this on a case by case basis.

Leeds Beckett University may be able to help you with partial funding towards the cost of a diagnostic assessment, but only once you are enrolled as a student. If eligible, we ask for a £50 contribution from the student and the University would then pay the outstanding amount. Click here for further information about how to apply for this funding. 

If you wish to arrange your own diagnostic assessment before you arrive this may help to minimise any potential delay in accessing support once you commence your study.

If you are current student and think you may have a spld, you can complete Quick Scan, our online screening tool, that can give an indication of whether dyslexia and/or dyspraxia is present. Quick Scan is not a diagnosis and only indicates if further screening is required.

3. Discuss your reasonable adjustments with a Disability Adviser or Officer 

Once you have submitted your evidence and consent form, a Disability Adviser or Officer will contact you to discuss your individual support needs in more detail.

They will create a tailored draft Reasonable Adjustment Plan and/or Exam Adjustment Plan (that highlights your support needs) for you to approve before it is sent to your course and exam timetabling team for implementation.

All students are offered an appointment to discuss their adjustments at this stage if they would like one but we can also arrange your adjustments over the phone or by email if preferred.

Your Reasonable Adjustment and Exam Adjustment plan last the duration of your course but can be amended at any time if circumstances change.

Other helpful University information

Plus Icon Support from the Students' Union

From time to time you may encounter issues engaging with various aspects of your university experience. The University’s Students’ Union is there to offer you free, confidential and independent advice on such issues and is well versed in how to support students in relation to academic problems, health and wellbeing, housing, money and other issues. For further details please visit the SU Advice Service website.

The Students’ Union has an elected Representative for Students with Disabilities who you can contact if you have any issues you would like to raise or want to be more involved with disability-related student matters.

Plus Icon Support in developing skills for learning at a higher education level

The University encourages ALL students to access its Skills for Learning resources which are aimed at supporting students with all aspects of their academic learning.

Skills for Learning offers advice and training in how to become an independent learner using appropriate learning styles and embedding academic skills, including:the use of IT, numeracy, academic literacy, problem solving, critical thinking, working with others, research skills, and referencing.

For further details and access to a wealth of helpful guidance please visit the Skills for Learning website.

In addition to the resources available on the Skills for Learning website, students can book into workshops and tutorials on academic communication, maths and IT skills.

N.B. Off-campus access

Students who need to access the site off-campus, will be asked to log in using their user id and password from their student card. For more information, see the Skills for Learning Frequently Asked Questions page.

Plus Icon Support with funding and finance issues

N.B. For advice and support relating to Disabled Students’ Allowances please contact Disability Advice.

Our Student Money Advice team provide confidential specialist advice about student funding and can also help with general advice about budgeting, debt and welfare benefits.

IMPORTANT changes to benefits!

Did you know that Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is being replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP)? For further details on how you could be affected please visit the benefits and tax credits section of the Student Money Advice website. The team also administers hardship funds, short term loans and emergency assistance. For further details and information about how to contact the service please visit the Student Money Advice website.

Plus Icon University academic regulations

The University is governed by adhering to its academic regulations. Please see section 2.6 for regulations that may be of particular relevance to disabled students.

Temporary illness and injury proforma
This form assists staff in recommending reasonable adjustments for students with a temporary impairment
Accessing Support Map
This document provides a visual map of the process for accessing reasonable adjustments from Leeds Beckett University and Disabled Students' Allowances.
Health Professionals Notes and Guidance
This guidance assists medical professionals in providing medical evidence for students to access support.
New Students Consent Form
This form needs to be completed to enable Disability Advice to share relevant information about a student's support needs with other specified parties on a 'need to know' basis.
New Students Initial Contact Form
This form enables students to inform the Disability Advice team about their disability and any support/adjustments they might find helpful.
Arrange your support information leaflet
This is a general leaflet outlining disability related support at Leeds Beckett University and how to access it.
NMH rates from January 2017<br>
These are the rates that the University is charging for Non-Medical Helper support from January 2017.

Browse A-Z

Back to Top Button
Back to Top Button