About Teresa Brayshaw
Teresa has worked in Performing Arts and Higher Education for the last 25 years, designing and delivering curricula, leading teams of people and directing programmes in Drama, Theatre, Contemporary Arts Practice and Performance.
Previous to establishing the Performing Arts department at Leeds Beckett University, Teresa led performance programmes at Manchester Metropolitan University (MA in Contemporary Arts); The University of Hull: Scarborough Campus (BA Theatre Studies); The University of Leeds (MA Performance) and De Montfort University, Leicester (BA Theatre).
In addition to her own pedagogic practice, she also makes and directs theatre performances, performs, writes and regularly contribute to debates on arts education. She has a keen interest in improving performance for people from all walks of life and works as both a professional mentor and qualified coach. She is also a fully certified Feldenkrais Practitioner, and offers Awareness through Movement classes and Functional Integration.
Teresa has had the opportunity to travel widely and has presented workshops and performances, given talks and papers and offered consultancy in a range of academic and festival contexts. She has developed ongoing relationships with the Academy of Dramatic Art in Zagreb, the Academy of Dramatic Art in Osijek, and the Dionysus Festival, all in Croatia; ACT Festival and Bai Theatre School in Bilbao, Spain; GIFT and FLARE Festival in the UK; Sibiu International Festival in Romania; the Kosovo Accreditation Agency and the ESMAE Academy in Portugal.
Selected international teaching, masterclasses and workshops
- Artful Prose: The Writing Subject, Manchester School of Art (March 2016)
A Visual Writing/Thinking course for PhD researchers
- Flare Festival, Manchester (July 2015)
Feldenkrais Tuning In and Waking Up
- Dionysus Theatre Festival (March 2015)
Sustainable Performance Training
- Istria Summer School for Actors, Istria (August 2014)
Creative ways to begin and end
- ACT Festival Bilbao, Spain (June 2014)
When you know what you are doing, you can do what you want. Workshop for artists.
- Zagreb Academy of Dramatic Arts (October 2013)
Strategies for making it up - week long residency
- GIFT Festival Gateshead UK (May 2013)
Morning Manifestoes & The GIFT(ed) Speech Acts
- Bai PG Theatre School Bilbao (February 2013)
Embodied Knowledges – Weeklong residency
Teresa teaches on the following programmes/modules:
- MA Performance
- Artist Project Major
- Embodied Knowledges
- Performance Matters
- BA Performance
- Performance Project 2: Collaboration
- BA Performance: Professional Practice
- BA Dance
Short Courses offered by the School of Film, Music and Performing Arts:
- One day courses
- Awareness Through Movement
- Finding and Using your Voice
- Three day courses
- Learning to Learn (Feldenkrais and early developmental patterns)
- Five day courses
- Devising Performance
- CINEAGE Project
- Performance and Creativity Workshops
- International Summer School
- Devising Performance
- Playing with Shakespeare
Teresa’s current research is centred upon creating environments in which people can learn through movement and awareness, to develop their innate potential and become happier and healthier as a result. In addition to her ‘pure practice’ as a Feldenkrais teacher, she applies her interests in neuroplasticity and creativity to her teaching, writing and professional theatre work.
Teresa is also working with graduate students in the development of theatre based training sessions for Leeds Beckett’s People Development Unit which provides training and staff development across all sectors of the university as well as to external client groups.
External Professional Activities
- External Examining
- MA Ensemble Theatre, Rose Bruford College, 2014 - 2018
- MA Theatre for Young Audiences, Rose Bruford College, 2014 - 2018
- MA Making Plays at Kingston University, London 2010 – 2014
- MA Advanced Theatre Practice, CCSD, London 2006-2009
- BA Hons Performance, York St John University 2006 - 2009
- Board Membership
- FLARE Festival, Manchester
- Red Ladder Theatre Company, Leeds
- Pigeon Theatre Company, Manchester