carnegieXchange: School of Sport

Future Female Cricket President Travels to Leeds Beckett to Fulfil Her Career Goals

Sherneil Charlery is a MSc Sport and Exercise Biomechanics student from Saint Lucia. Sherneil came to study at Leeds Beckett because she wanted to be taught by the best. She plans to return home to the Caribbean after graduating, where she’ll use her knowledge and skills to support athletes in her home nation, before hopefully becoming the first female president of Cricket West Indies.

Young woman in front of running track and Carribean countryside in the background

Why did you decide to move from your home of Saint Lucia to study a Masters in Sport and Exercise Biomechanics in the UK?

I decided to study in the UK due to its well-developed sporting culture, and I wanted to learn from some of the best academics in the sports science industry. The Caribbean is known for its sporting history however we have very limited avenues for development or the use of sport sciences. Therefore, being able to study in the UK will give me the knowledge I require to contribute to the development of sports in our region.

Why did you choose to study at Leeds Beckett?

For my undergraduate degree, I studied Sport and Exercise Science at the University of the West Indies Cave Hill Campus in Barbados. Before choosing to study in Barbados, I researched sport sciences programmes in the US and UK, and it was through this research that I discovered Leeds Beckett.  

The courses offered at Leeds Beckett, along with the facilities on campus caught my attention, and although I decided to remain in Barbados to complete my undergraduate degree, I knew Leeds Beckett would be my first choice if I were to pursue a Masters degree.  

Leeds Beckett University is a great place to study a sports related degree because the University has invested a lot to ensure its students receive the best experience. The institution is equipped with world-class sports science labs and sporting facilities which will assist with the exposure and experience that a future sport scientist needs to succeed. 

Many of the University’s alumni are currently working as sport science support for teams and elite athletes or are working in industry for companies specialising in sport science solutions and innovation. This shows the high employability rate among the graduates of the University. The teaching staff are friendly, and they are well-versed in their areas of specialisation.

What made you decide to continue in higher education to gain a Masters degree?

I wanted to expand my knowledge and I knew that having a Masters would give me a competitive edge in the industry.

How did you get your scholarship to study at Leeds Beckett?

I am a 2021 Chevening Scholar. Chevening is the UK government’s international awards programme aimed at developing global leaders. It is funded by the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) and partner organisations. 

It’s a rigorous application process which took almost a year, but it was worth the hard work. I’m honored to have been one of the 1633 scholars who were successful out of over 64,000 applications.

What are your career aspirations for after you complete your Masters?

After I complete my masters, I plan to do a short internship in the UK to gain more work experience before returning home to Saint Lucia. 

There aren’t many biomechanics specialists in the Caribbean, but we have an abundance of sporting talent that needs to be developed, supported and guided accordingly. I’m looking forward to working with athletes in the region to help them become just as competitive as athletes from the rest of the world. My goal is to open a high-performance centre in Saint Lucia. I’d also like to continue my academic journey by achieving a doctoral degree in Sport Biomechanics.

I’ve been working voluntarily with various youth and sports organisations in Saint Lucia whilst completing my Masters, and I plan to continue growing a charity I have set up, Supporting Girls in Sport, which advocates for gender equality in sports in the Caribbean.

I will also return to my administrative roles as a member of the Saint Lucia Olympic Committee, Women in Sport Commission, and the Saint Lucia Basketball Federation Women’s Basketball Development Committee. 

Within the next 10 years, I hope to become the first female president of Cricket West Indies. My objective as president would be to ensure that performance analysis starts from grassroots level, and that our athletes achieve peak performance and a prolonged career. In this role, I can serve as a role model for girls/women in sports who are interested but are afraid to aspire for top-level positions in sporting associations. Presently, sporting associations nationally and regionally do not have adequate female representation and I would like to begin this change.

What advice would you give to other international students who may be considering studying at Leeds Beckett?

I would say go for it! The University has two beautiful campuses and a warm, friendly environment. The lecturers that I have encountered are welcoming and easy to talk to. There are several student societies ran by the Student Union which would suit many interests and there are various advice and wellbeing services which can help you with any financial or mental health issues you may encounter while studying. If you want to study in a student-friendly city, then Leeds is definitely the place for you. 

Sherneil Charlery