I wouldn't want to study sport anywhere else

Alumni spotlight | Natasha Ainsworth

Natasha smiling at graduation with hat and gown on

Natasha Ainsworth came to Leeds Beckett to study BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science. After discovering a passion for how science can help people in a clinical setting, Natasha stayed at Leeds Beckett to gain a deeper understanding and complete a Masters in Sport and Exercise Physiology. Natasha now works as a Senior Health and Wellbeing Physiologist at Nuffield Health Leeds Hospital.

Why did you choose to study BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science?

I always enjoyed playing sport at school and also enjoyed biology, chemistry and physics. I found that sport and exercise science was a perfect combination of the multiple areas of science. For me, I personally enjoyed the physiology of sport and the underpinning mechanisms. When I first started university, I wanted to go down the sport route, however during my studies, I discovered that I preferred the clinical and exercise side of the degree. 

What attracted you to study this course at Leeds Beckett?

One of my PE teachers at school completed their Sport and Exercise Science degree at Leeds Beckett and always said how much he had enjoyed his time there. I had done a lot of research on the course itself and the campus was fantastic - I had already accepted my place before I had even visited! 

What did you enjoy most about the course?

I really enjoyed the flexibility of my third year as we were able to select which modules we wanted to focus on. I was able to tailor my learning towards physiology itself, which is where I found that I enjoyed clinical exercise testing, including ECG analysis. I also really enjoyed completing my dissertation (although I'm not sure my participants would agree!) as it allowed me to create and follow through with my own study.

You progressed on to study an MSc in Sport and Exercise Physiology at Leeds Beckett. What were your main drivers for doing a Masters degree?

I felt that I had a sound understanding from my undergraduate degree, and I wanted to build on that to get a greater depth of knowledge. In particular, I was really keen to understand more about the clinical side of sport and exercise science.

Why did you choose to stay at Leeds Beckett for your postgraduate degree?

I stayed in Leeds for a number of reasons. I love the city and the area of Headingley, it had started to feel like home (I still haven't left!) Over the 3 years of my undergraduate degree, I established good working relationships with members of staff from Leeds Beckett who knew my areas of interest and could support me. I also really wanted to complete the learning content on the Masters course.

What has been some of your key challenges / proudest moments during your time at Leeds Beckett?

I presented research in my Masters year on Perilipins, which was an area I was unfamiliar with before starting my postgraduate. I completed a presentation as part of my Essentials of Physiology module and was really proud of the work produced and the grade I achieved. I volunteered within the Cardiac Clinic which allowed me to develop my learning whilst working with patients/clients. I was also really proud of my Masters dissertation as again, this was an area I originally knew nothing about. I was able to work with my tutors and a PhD student to complete 2 studies, which we are now hoping to publish.

You’ve recently started working as a Senior Health and Wellbeing Physiologist at Nuffield Health Leeds Hospital. Did having a Masters degree help you to secure this position?

100%! The knowledge I acquired on the clinical exercise testing and prescription module, as well as the practical work experience I’d had in the Cardiac Clinic helped me stand out from the crowd and successfully secure a job after graduating. I feel that my Masters not only helped me gain the required knowledge for my career, but also helped me to build confidence in myself. 

What are some of the key skills your learnt during your studies at Leeds Beckett that you now apply in your role as a Senior Health and Wellbeing Physiologist?

Within my role as a Senior Physiologist at Nuffield, we see a variety of different clients each day, all of whom have different aims and objectives for their health and wellbeing. Both my undergraduate and postgraduate degrees taught me about how to fulfil people’s exercise and nutrition needs. At the time of studying, I don't think I appreciated the value of psychology, but I now use behaviour change techniques on a daily basis to help my clients help themselves.

Why do you think Leeds Beckett is a good university to study a sport related degree?

I wouldn't want to go anywhere else to study sport and exercise science/physiology. The facilities were fantastic and even more so now with the new building which I have been lucky enough to see. They have great relationships with many sports clubs such as Leeds Rhinos to help build career prospects. There are so many opportunities to get involved with studies with tutors and PhD students.

What advice would you give someone who might also be interested in becoming a physiologist?

My personal advice would be to get as much experience as you possibly can. Whether it is with sports teams, researchers, clinics etc. it will be so helpful in the long run. Yes, jobs want you to have the grades - but they also want you to have practical skills and experience. Try and get as much experience and CPD as you can alongside your degree.