My journey from UG Sports Coaching to PG Physical Education and Youth Sport

Student Spotlight - Lana Burke

Lana smiling with blond plaited hair in a Leeds Beckett rugby union top

Tell us a bit about yourself and what drew you to studying an MA in Physical Education and Youth Sport

I studied my undergraduate degree in Sports Coaching at Leeds Beckett University. I’m involved in a variety of different sports such as rugby union, surfing, gym and snowboarding. Studying Sports Coaching, allowed me to gain confidence in teaching and coaching sports to children of all ages. I experienced many different placements in a variety of schools around Leeds, including mainstream and non-mainstream schools. Although I was “coaching” in these schools I wanted to learn more about teaching PE within a school setting. I wanted to dive deeper into learning about different pedagogies and practices that are inclusive to all children and young people. I chose PE and Youth Sport as my Masters course as it provides  an understanding of what is currently happening in PE, what are categorised as “good” and “bad” in PE, and what needs to be changed as the society is changing. I also was drawn to study this course because it includes both classroom and practical based sessions, which I find is an effective way of learning. It also allows for expression of creativity and choice for most assessments which I think makes the course enjoyable and motivating. 

What made you choose Leeds Beckett University?

I studied at Leeds Beckett University for my undergraduate course. I originally chose this university because of its good sports reputation and sporting facilities that are part of the university. I decided to stay on at Leeds Beckett as I loved the campus, facilities, community and living in Headingley - there's always so much to do outside of university and is great for social life!

Which modules have you gained the most from on your course so far and why? 

I have gained the most from the Innovations in PE module, I found this module very interesting and specific topics stood out to me and sparked my interest. A certain topic I learnt about in this module motivated me to choose it for my dissertation. Furthermore, modules such as Applied Social Theory and Young People's experiences in PE are interesting modules that allow you to learn about real world problems that are happening and how these relate to PE and sport. It talks about how PE can relate to social justice and uses theoretical concepts of world issues and relates it back to PE. Most modules interlink with each other which allows for good working flow throughout the course! 

What other opportunities have you had at Leeds Beckett University outside of your course experience? 

Since I've been at Leeds Beckett University I have had opportunities to play high level sports and compete in the BUCs league for women's rugby union. Playing rugby has allowed me to become part of the university team and compete competitively in intense games but also meet many friends and feel part of a team. Playing rugby also has a social aspect, that is really fun and I have met many people through this by taking part in the social side to relax from the competitiveness. I also enjoy leisurely sports such as snowboarding and surfing. Leeds Beckett has many societies that include these sports, it has allowed me to meet so many different kinds of people who also enjoy these sport activities. It shows that at Leeds Beckett provides many different societies for all abilities and a range of different activities! I definitely advise joining a sport or society as they provide opportunities to travel outside of Leeds - I had the opportunity to go to places such as France, Portugal, Croatia and Morocco! 

How do you think the course will help you in your future career?

I believe that this course will provide me with the knowledge I need to advance in my future career. From studying sports coaching previously I wanted to have more understanding on physical education in school settings and community settings. I wanted a deeper dive into what PE is and what the significance of the importance PE is on children and young adolescents. This course has provided me with knowledge about the world relating to PE and what the current issues are around ethnicity, gender, sexuality, social class and many other interesting topics that I would have never thought that PE was affected by. Having this knowledge makes me feel aware and gives me courage to talk about these issues and come forward in my future career and state that there needs to be change. Although, I’m still unsure what I want to do - and this is okay! I know that the learning and research I do will give me the confidence to excel in whatever my future career will be. 

What advice would you give to someone thinking about studying this course? 

The advice that I would give to someone is that if you are passionate about physical education and sport then definitely do this course. Be prepared to try new things, new models, new ways of teaching and be ready to hear lots of different ranges of opinions and don’t be afraid to say your own! Allow yourself to have fun on the course, have a laugh  but also be serious and concentrate at times - definitely need to keep on top of readings and research!