My internship at Barnsley FC turned into my dream job

Graduation spotlight | Tom Palin

A man in a graduation gown and hat is standing in front of a giant 22 statue
Leeds Beckett helped Tom Palin to secure an internship at Barnsley Football Club whilst he was studying Sport and Exercise Science. After spending a year applying his learning from the classroom into elite sport, he successfully secured the position as the clubs First Team Sport Scientist after graduating.

Course: BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science

Why did you choose to study BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science at Leeds Beckett University?

The Sport and Exercise course offered at Leeds Beckett appealed to me as I wanted a practical degree which could lead to real career opportunities.

I always knew I wanted to work in sport prior to studying at university, whether that was in a professional club or an education setting. Once I had decided on the Sport and Exercise course, I researched what jobs graduates can go into and came across the role of a sport scientist. Once realising that working in professional sport was a viable option as a career path, I set my aspirations on achieving that.

The facilities that Leeds Beckett have to offer aid the learning of equipment which is often used in athlete testing. Also, Leeds Beckett has links with professional sports clubs in the city such as Leeds United, Leeds Rhinos and Yorkshire Cricket, which results in lots of opportunities for students.

What did you enjoy most about the course?

The practical element of learning is what I enjoyed the most. I believe the time spent learning to be a hands-on practitioner aided me in my studies and ability to apply what I was learning into a professional environment working with elite athletes.

What skills did you learn at University that you now apply in your professional life?

Interpersonal and communication skills which I learned while completing the course at Leeds Beckett are some of the most important skills I use in my job as a sports scientist. Working in sport, especially football, involves being in a multilingual environment where English isn’t everyone first language. Therefore, it is key to be clear and concise when explaining things to players and coaches.

Another key skill the sport and exercise science course helped me develop was the ability to carry out a battery of exercise tests successfully and efficiently for a group of athletes. These tests included the 30-15 intermittent fitness test, yo yo and bleep tests. These tests form a big part of my role at the football club especially when carrying out medicals for incoming players and also mid-season testing to assess progress.

How did Leeds Beckett help you secure an internship at Barnsley Football Club?

Leeds Beckett not only advertised the opportunity to work with Barnsley FC’s first team to me, but also provided me with the support with the application process including bolstering and adapting my CV in order to fit with the job specification.

Also, the teaching on offer at Leeds Beckett gave me the confidence and ability to answer the generic sport and exercise science questions in the interview. Without a doubt I believe that the University is the sole reason that I was able to secure a role within a professional sports club.

What did your internship entail, and what were some of your key learnings from the experience?

Throughout the first few weeks of my internship, I shadowed the first team sports scientists to understand the demands of the job and what the day to day of a sport scientist looks like. Once I had settled into the professional working environment, I started to gain more roles and responsibilities such as leading warmups and rehab sessions for injured players while travelling to away games to be the lead sports scientist.

I also furthered my proficiency in helping out during gym sessions by learning how to perform and demonstrate correct exercise technique. One of the key learning experiences for me during this time was travelling down to Watford FC for an U23’s game.

As the lead sport scientist on this trip, I was responsible for the player pre match and post-match meals and providing them with correct nutritional advise for the game. Furthermore, planning and leading a sufficient match day was also my responsibility whilst also making sure players were wearing their GPS ‘pods’ which go in the back of their shirts.

You’ve recently graduated and have already secured a job at Barnsley FC as the First Team’s Sport Scientist. Was this as a direct result of the success of your internship?

One hundred percent. What I have found over the past year working in elite sport is that it is all well and good gaining key knowledge, however, the ability to apply it into professional settings with athletes is of paramount importance.

The year I have spent at Barnsley FC gave me the skills and experience to be able to apply what I have learned during my 3 years at Leeds Beckett. A lot of credit should also be given to the staff and players at Barnsley FC who made my first year in the industry as smooth and easy as possible by giving me room for errors while giving me constructive criticism in order for me to improve as a practitioner.

What advice would you give someone who might also be interested in becoming a sport scientist?

My main piece of advice to become a sport and exercise practitioner in any field is to get as much experience as possible. The experience that you can gain in the real-world environment teaches you how to apply what you learn in the classroom into sporting or clinical settings.

Another key message I would give future sport science students is to ask questions and volunteer. Even if there are no jobs that relate to what you would like to do in the future ask to work as a volunteer in the university teams or local clubs. This is so important as the experience gained while doing this will not only help you as a sports scientist but will boost your CV and chances in attaining a job in a sports setting.