The Sport Coaching degree at Leeds Beckett University enabled me to become the coach I am today. Since graduating from Leeds Beckett, I have coached from grassroots up to high performance level in boxing. I am currently coaching at club level with Gladiators Boxing, regionally with the Yorkshire team, as well as at national level with England and GB as a development coach on the performance pathway. 

I had always enjoyed my time on the BSc (Hons) Sports Coaching degree, however, since I graduated, I truly valued the experiences that I had undertaken. No degree in the country offered as much placement time, across different settings. As part of the course, I coached in primary schools, sports clubs and pupil referral units. The placements were far from easy and challenged me, but it shaped me into the coach I am today. 

As well as the experiences, we had world renowned researchers and coaches lecturing on the course, passing on their knowledge and expertise. As I’ve started coaching in high performance sport, there is more and more theory that is involved. At National level (with England and GB) coach developers regularly touch upon topics that I had visited in the degree, having already explored these theories I felt well equipped in my next stages as a coach in high performance. For me, the degree set the foundations and helped to carve out my future career.