50 Years

Improving health outcomes in Sierra Leone

Mary Fullah was working as Public Health Sister in northern Sierra Leone whilst she studied at Leeds Beckett via distance learning. Since graduating she's progressed to Chief Nursing and Midwifery Officer in the country with responsibility for all nursing and midwifery services across the country. This includes coordinating partners in nursing and midwifery services, policy formulation, strategic plan development and ensuring its implementation, and intersectional collaboration across services.

Published on 26 Jun 2020
Midwife takes incubator down corridor

As the Chief Nursing and Midwifery Officer in Sierra Leone, Mary oversees all nursing and midwifery services in the whole country. This includes coordinating partners in nursing and midwifery services, policy formulation, strategic plan development and ensuring its implementation, and intersectional collaboration across services.

As the highest position within her area she also participates in the management of the Nurses and Midwives Board and interacts with the Nursing and Midwifery Associations. Speaking about her role Mary said: “My days are always hectic. I start my day at 8:30 am with a clear plan for the day.

“The day is full of meetings, either ministerial, partner, or board meetings. It is often only late in the afternoon that I get the chance to look through my emails and reply to those that are urgent.”

Looking back on her time at university Mary said “I have used partner mapping that I learnt in my studies to identify my partners in nursing and midwifery and these have helped me to receive support for the directorate, the training institutions and service delivery. I have also used the change management skills I developed to improve on service delivery, I have utilised the introduction of the preceptorship program and the internship program for new graduates to improve on service delivery, and the data analysis skills I gained on the course have helped me to make informed decisions throughout my career.

Read Mary's story