- BUSINESS SERVICES
- Develop your business
- Develop your people
- Access new talent and skills
- Use our spaces and facilities
- Connect with us
- Our work in the region
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTP)
Gain a competitive advantage with the expertise of Leeds Beckett. Through this Government-funded programme you'll establish a unique partnership between your business and our university to deliver positive impact and drive innovation.
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTPs) help businesses innovate for growth.
What is it? A Government-funded programme helping businesses develop and gain a competitive advantage with the expertise of UK universities.
How does it work? Each KTP creates a unique partnership between a business and a university to deliver positive impact and drive innovation. Every project is tailor-made for your business.
Who funds it? The programme, funded by UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) through Innovate UK, has been running for over 45 years. During that time, it has enabled more than 14,000 businesses to drive innovation for positive impact.
What else does it offer? The KTP programme is complemented by the Management KTP Programme (mKTP), focused on helping businesses build resilience, adaptability and growth by changing culture or expanding management capability.
KTPs are true partnerships – designed to benefit all partners.
KTPs are made up of:
- A suitably qualified graduate (known as the Associate) who leads change, delivers innovation and applies academic knowledge to a real-world challenge
- A university or research organisation who create business-relevant teaching, research and publishing opportunities
- A UK business or not-for-profit organisation who drive innovation, increase productivity and improve business performance.
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships help businesses to:
- Drive competitive advantage and boost profitability
- Generate new knowledge and foster a culture of innovation
- Create new products and access to new markets
- Embed expertise across the business
Each KTP project is individually designed to transfer the academic knowledge and expertise of Leeds Beckett University into a new business initiative or challenge.
Projects last from 12 months to three years. A highly skilled KTP associate is recruited by Leeds Beckett and embedded within the business to deliver the project.
The work is supported by intensive input from a senior academic, or group of academics, who are experts in their field throughout the project.
Management Knowledge Transfer Partnership (mKTP)
Management KTP works in the same way as KTP but focuses on effective management capabilities that build resilience, agility and growth for organisations. mKTP provides opportunities to:
- Improve business efficiency, boost productivity and increase profitability
- Identify new opportunities and revenue streams for sustainable growth
- Successfully manage change within an organisation, including behavioural and cultural change, and succession planning
- Develop strategic thinking and decision-making capabilities
Benefits of KTP and mKTP:
- Provide access to specialist academics to share expertise, vision, experience and resources to embed knowledge and create positive change
- Create strategic, long-lasting, positive cultural change in your business and foster a culture of innovation and development
- Provide access to UK Government funding to support a project (up to 67% funding for small- to medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and 50% for large businesses)
- Increase revenue / boost profitability through new and improved processes and capabilities
At Leeds Beckett, we provide a holistic service to businesses looking to develop a KTP or mKTP. We will:
- Work with you to scope out your goals / challenges and make recommendations for a potential project
- Identify appropriate academic experts to add value to the business and develop a structured project with clear milestones and outputs
- Lead and guide you through the funding application process from start to finish
- Recruit a dedicated KTP associate to deliver and manage the project for the life of the project
- Provide regular supervision and strategic direction to the project from academics and project management specialists
- Signpost to additional support and funding
- Provide a clear exit pathway at the end of the project – including retaining the KTP associate within the business
Leeds Beckett works with a range of businesses, large and small, across the UK. From large multinationals to family-run SMEs, we match the appropriate expertise to the business and the solution required.
- Bdaily: Wakefield wardrobe door specialist set for ‘transformational’ growth through university partnership
- Business Link: University partnerships established to support growth of two Yorkshire businesses
- Insider Media: Leeds Beckett University partners with businesses
- University partnership opens doors for ambitious interiors firm
- New university management KTPs