Why did you choose to study BA (Hons) Montessori Education?

I have always found the Montessori approach to education interesting but did not know the proper application of it in a classroom setting. 

The Montessori Education course at Leeds Beckett offers the opportunity to explore this approach in a realistic setting with the guidance of an experienced faculty.

I currently teach in a traditional classroom environment but strongly believe that concepts of the Montessori approach can also be applied outside a Montessori setting to maximize the benefit to my students. I have also been wanting to move away from mainstream school teaching and teach in a setting that offers more freedom to my students and myself.

Why did you choose to study at Leeds Beckett University?

I have already studied with Leeds Beckett University and had a tremendously positive experience with the University. My current experience has been the same.  Distance learning is always a challenge, but the positive attitude and approach that faculty staff have to address my particular needs allows me to get the most of my education experience.

What do you most enjoy about studying BA (Hons) Montessori Education?

I enjoy the opportunity to connect with my classmates and our module tutor, Jeremy Clarke.  The lectures are always very insightful and the discussions educational.  Learning together with a diverse student base and a variety of assignments is a fulfilling challenge in my educational career.

I am able to incorporate various aspects of my learning from the University to my work setting, which enables me to be a better teacher.

Your course is taught virtually online, what are the benefits of online learning?

As I work full-time, the flexibility that the online learning provides is the most valuable aspect personally. Being able to work full-time and go through the study materials in my own time is a big advantage.

What are the tutors like on your course?

My experience with tutors has been extremely positive.  In general, they have provided valuable insights and knowledge on material being covered. They are engaging and genuinely interested in my education and application of the concepts into my work setting.

What are your career aspirations for after you graduate university?

To find a job in a Montessori Primary School and start applying my newly gained knowledge at my setting.

What skills are you learning on your course which will help you achieve your career ambitions?

Through the class material, I am learning how to effectively implement Montessori’s methods and theories in a non-Montessori setting as well as in a Montessori setting.

The interactions with my peers and the faculty have given me many insights on how to tackle potentially-challenging situations in the future as a teacher.

What advice would you give other prospective students who may be thinking of studying Montessori Education?

One does not need to teach in a Montessori setting to enrol in this course, although it would be beneficial. The skills and knowledge gained in the course can be applied in any classroom teaching setting and can only be a positive influence to any teacher looking to continue their development as an education professional.

Furthermore, if you would like to move away from mainstream teaching and open your mind to a whole new world of teaching and learning, this course is for you.