The Carnegie/CLCC LEJOG fundraising page is still ticking over. The end of the challenge on 7 June resulted in an amazing total mileage and I received many emails and texts from the group:

‘Fantastic effort from everyone! Brilliant teamwork for a very worthy cause too!’

‘Congratulations on such an amazing achievement.  I’m proud to have made a small contribution to the total distance and be associated with such a wonderful group of alumni.’

‘Fantastic idea and so many positives for all of us.’

15,612 miles were notched up which meant we completed just over eleven laps of the course – with one lap being Land’s End to John O’Groats and then back to finish at Beckett Park.

Phil and Elaine Taylor visited Beckett Park on Tuesday 9 June to conclude the challenge at the finish line. It was great that Peter Mackreth – Dean of the Carnegie School of Sport - was there to greet them and show them around the new building.

Members of the team taking part in the challenge sent in lovely photos of themselves in action, along with their individual totals and stories. The success of the challenge represented a brilliant fundraising achievement for the NHS. Just as pleasing, were the benefits felt by the group in terms of their own physical and mental health during this time. A real team spirit energised the fundraising activity which I think is exceptional, bearing in mind we formed our bonds and relationships back in the 70’s at Carnegie.

I had planned to close the fundraising page on 10 June but clearly that needed extending, as we were still receiving donations and support.

As of 19 June the total stands at £6,725.21, and with Gift Aid £8,019.38.

When speaking to the group we agreed for a final push to try and get to £7,000.

It has been a really great effort and I am truly proud of the team’s achievement. On a personal note, relating to my motivation for initiating this project due to my own personal health issues, I feel I have shown my gratitude to how the NHS has helped me, both in the past and in the present.

The Carnegie family are looking forward to meeting each other face to face at our next reunion. I am sure a few glasses of bubbly will support the celebrations as we celebrate the success of the challenge and reminisce about our achievements.