What initially drew me to the university was the course, which has allowed me to specialise in HR, while being based in the heart of Leeds City Centre, making accommodation easily accessible over the past two years.

Content focused on key areas

Studying Human Resource Management and Business (HR) at Leeds Beckett has helped me to develop my skills and experience. Tutors specialise the content to make sure that learning is focused on key areas such as managerial decision making and employment law that will be relevant to graduates once in employment.

It’s a smaller course, which has allowed us to get to know one another in a more open setting. This has benefitted us all in seminars as we can interact with one another freely and support is easy to obtain.

The course offers a placement year where students can put their two years of theory into practice within a workplace. This is a great way to experience what working in HR is like as well as making you a more desirable employee upon graduation.

Taking advantage of opportunities

While at Leeds Beckett, I wrote a research paper on ‘leveraging sustainability awareness and knowledge’, which was helped greatly through in-depth discussions and support from my dissertation supervisor, Ali Sajjadi.

I have taken advantage of many opportunities offered by Leeds Business school, late December last year I entered and won a global environmental awareness project where I had to research three areas of sustainability; Cities and Communities, Zero Hunger and Life on Land. These three topics were the most compelling when thinking ‘what can I do’ and ‘what can businesses do’. I constructed an abstract detailing the research I would carry out in exploring sustainability and I presented at an online international conference held by the Budapest Business School, where I won my category. I have recently written a research paper and aim for its publication later this year.

For those wanting more responsibility, being a course representative is a great way to have an impact on the decisions made for your course. As course rep, I provide academic and personal support to my peers as well as feedback to lecturers which is incredibly important in these uncertain times as we experience online learning.

At the end of my course, I hope to work for an organisation to gain experience of the HR working environment, then study for my masters and eventually achieve a PhD.