A small group of first and second-year undergraduate students from Leeds Law School were recently selected to take part in a student trip to Lincoln’s Inn, one of the UK’s four Inns of Court. 

Dean of Leeds Law School, Deveral Capps, explains: “We were delighted to host the student trip to Lincoln’s Inn, where our students got a glimpse into life as a barrister from some of the best in the business. It’s so important our students have access to these types of experiences, adding real value to their university learning, informing and inspiring their career choices, and giving them contacts and knowledge of the working world of law.”

This is five students’ account of the trip, and what they got out of it.

Bisma Syed Qureshi, Law LLB

I did my research to find out more about Lincoln’s Inn and how it can give you a great insight into what it’s like to work as a barrister. I’d get to hear from barristers who have a lot of experience, ask them questions, and have the opportunity to network. I had to apply.

The visit included a welcome and introduction from the head of membership, then talks from four different barristers about training for the bar, self-employed bar, employed bar and 10 top tips to become a barrister. We then went in the reception room and spoke with different barristers and students, before going to dinner in the Great Hall. I was inspired when they explained there is still a lack of diversity in law and that it’s harder for people with different backgrounds to make it as a barrister, but that it’s absolutely possible if you are outstanding. Another surprising thing to come out of the discussion was that out of all the students that were in the room, only a small percentage would make it as a barrister. It gave us all an insight into how competitive it is to make it, and how you really have to stand out.

It's made me want to work extra hard and do lots of extracurricular activity as well as voluntary experience to make sure I achieve my career goals.

Lincoln's Inn

Holly Coles, Law with International Business

I had a great time at Lincoln's Inn. I met so many inspirational people and made some new friends from Leeds Law School.

I applied for the Lincoln’s Inn trip because I strongly believe networking is just as important as knowledge. Since law is such a competitive environment, it's about who you know as well as what you know. I knew it was going to be an inspiring experience and would help confirm that the career path I've chosen is exactly for me. It did!

During the visit, I've never listened to five more interesting individuals. At dinner I got to talk to them and ask lots of questions. The most surprising thing for me was that the people from the Inn kept speaking about very normal and fun-filled lives. The career of law is painted as a lonely, sometimes very hectic, career choice, but they showed us that you can in fact still go out and have a great network of friends. One barrister even went roller blading once a week!

Sophie Turner, Law LLB

I thoroughly enjoyed the Lincoln's Inn evening. It gave me lots to consider and think about.

I had an open mind about becoming a barrister and wanted to gain more insight and experience into what life is like as a barrister and learn more about the route to the Bar.

The Lincoln’s Inn team talked about the different routes to become a barrister, and gave us lots of practical advice about financing and the competitive nature of becoming a barrister. I really enjoyed how informative the talks were, and the dinner gave us a real flavour of what it would be like to be part of Lincoln's Inn. I wasn’t expecting some of the formalities and traditions at the table, like saying grace before and after every meal and there being a great bang on the table to end the meal!

After the visit, I’ll keep doing my research, visiting the other Inns of Court and getting some experience as a solicitor to see what that side of the profession is like.

Lincoln's Inn

Aleksandra Jurgielewicz, Law LLB

The Lincoln’s Inn trip was an opportunity for me to discuss law and figure out a suitable path to becoming a barrister. It was a fantastic chance for me to raise questions about becoming a barrister and to gather information about training schemes available, as well as get an insight into the way Lincoln’s Inn works.

At dinner, I was lucky enough to be seated next to the Treasurer, who was a really funny person and easy to talk to. One thing I was not expecting was the fact that every single one of the barristers were really funny and not that serious. After the visit I’ve thought about all the paths that I can take to become a barrister, made a few different plans, and now I just want to try and do what I enjoy doing.

Miruna Ana Ceuca, Law LLB

Before the visit, I was struggling with whether I truly wanted to become a barrister, and whether I’m perhaps more suited to becoming a solicitor.

What I loved the most about the Lincoln’s Inn visit was that each barrister we met shared their experiences in such an honest, open way. It made so much more excited about the future, and everything mesmerised me. Hearing about their experience made me think about what life I could be about to dive into, and that maybe one day, I’ll get there.

Following the advice of the barristers, I have planned what my next moves are, which will help me gain experience step-by-step.

The trip was made possible thanks to the support from Lincoln’s Inn.

Careers support

For our students interested in becoming a barrister, there is enrichment support available from the Law School and Careers Team to help you gain experience in the field. Please email Hannah Beever from the Careers Team to find out more: H.Beever@leedsbeckett.ac.uk.

What will your story be?

Studying with us is a great choice, check out some of our courses and see for yourself!

Bachelor of Laws (LLB)

Law

Law student speaking in mock courtroom
Bachelor of Laws (LLB)

Law with Criminology

Student takes notes in lecture, students in the background also listen

Leeds Law School

Our Law School sits in the heart of the great city of Leeds, one of the UK's largest legal hubs. It is perfectly placed to ensure all our undergraduate and postgraduate students are able to mine the wealth of practical experience and employment opportunities available on our doorstep.