Tell us a bit about yourself and why you chose to study a degree apprenticeship?

I fell into quantity surveying by chance when a research placement fell through during my first undergraduate degree in 2015 and I was forced to find a last-minute placement. I was lucky to find an employer who supported my part-time study alongside full-time employment; I have worked for PH Plasterers ever since. I progressed through a higher-level apprenticeship with Leeds College of Building, onto the degree apprenticeship with Leeds Beckett University. I love studying as a degree apprentice because it enables me to achieve a degree qualification while working full time, gaining valuable experience and earning alongside studying.  The end point assessments have also pushed me to expand my knowledge and experience. A degree apprenticeship is a great way to become qualified that fits around your working life.

How did you manage your work commitments and studying for your degree apprenticeship?

Working full-time and studying towards my degree has definitely been a challenge! I also studied most of my degree course during the pandemic, which added extra difficulties relating to the experience requirements of my end point assessment. For me, being ahead with course reading and seminar preparation was really important, it gave me more time for coursework writing or exam revision towards the end of modules. I also made sure I regularly updated my experience diary and timesheet for my end point assessment from week one of my course, which helped enormously when writing my summary of experience. It also allowed me to target my experiences at work to cover any missing competencies. Making a head start and keeping on top of your studying is definitely the way forward!

Female on building site

Sinead on site at Jack Lunn, Bradford

What support have you had from your employer?

My employer has been fantastic throughout. They encouraged me to pursue the degree apprenticeship and throughout the course they have allowed me paid study time, time for completing CPD (continued professional development), and flexibility around exams and submission points to accommodate studying. Having a supportive employer is essential when you're an apprentice, you need to work together to achieve the necessary experience and CPD, especially if, like me, your Assessment of Professional Competence (APC) journey is not straightforward. I would never have made it through the course without my employer's help.

What has been your favourite thing about your course and time at Leeds Beckett?

My favourite part of the course was the 'Issues in Construction Law' module, led by Katherine Dunn. I really enjoyed this module from start to finish, Katherine's teaching was engaging and effective, with excellent resources and seminars which encouraged you to reinforce learning by applying it to 'real-world' scenarios. I enjoyed this module so much that I’m considering pursuing further study in this area. During my course, I have also enjoyed standing as a student rep, and being a member of the 'Leeds University Union Horse Riding Club'.

What advice would you give to someone thinking about studying a degree apprenticeship?

Make sure you really understand the time implications of working full-time, while simultaneously studying and working towards your professional accreditation. Also make sure you fully understand the work experience requirements of the accreditation (your end point assessment) and have a plan in place to achieve those experiences before you start - speaking to others who have undertaken the degree apprenticeship or recently passed their APC is a good idea. If you decide that it is the right path for you, make sure you start recording your diary of experience and CPD as soon as you begin the course - it is much easier to start early, than to try to recall work experiences from two years ago or cram in the required CPD hours at the end of the process. 

What’s next for you?

I sit my APC in October, so there are still a lot of mock interviews and revision coming up. I had thought that I'd want a break from higher education, but I'm currently exploring master’s degree courses in law/construction law and dispute resolution. Watch this space!

Visit our website to find out more about our degree apprenticeship opportunities.

School of Built Environment, Engineering and Computing

The School of Built Environment & Engineering represents an inclusive and enthusiastic community of staff, students and professional partners who recognise that what they do, design and develop will have a lasting impact on the fabric of society.