My placement gave me an insight into play provision in deprived areas

Student spotlight | Georgia Klein, BA (Hons) Childhood Development and Playwork 

Georgia Klein profile

My name is Georgia Klein, I’m 20 years old and I’ll be going into my second year of university at Leeds Beckett, studying childhood development and playwork. I am originally from Sheffield, so I have moved away from home and to Leeds to study.

Tell us a bit about yourself and what drew you to Childhood Development and Playwork

I am 20 years old, I’m an amateur female boxer having won various championship titles. I’ve also been on the England boxing team for a year, and I am the first person in my family to go to university. The thing that drew me to Leeds Beckett is the fact that it’s still relatively close to home (a 40-minute drive). I chose the Childhood Development and Playwork course as I thoroughly enjoyed studying childhood development at GCSE level. The playwork side of things interested me as I have two younger siblings and by watching them grow older I observed how play benefited them as individuals.

What made you choose Leeds Beckett?

The things that made me choose Leeds Beckett are that the location is convenient as I didn’t have to move too far away from home, the various different degrees offered and the excellent facilities such as the Leeds Beckett Boxing team (as this sport is my passion and hobby so I looked to continue training while at university which I was able to do whilst adhering to the Covid-19 rules and regulations).

What has been your favourite thing about your time studying at Leeds Beckett?

My favourite thing about my time studying at Leeds Beckett is being lucky enough to physically go out on to placement at The Big Swing – abiding by the Covid-19 regulations – which gave me an insight into how play provision is provided in deprived areas, and the roles and responsibilities of a playworker.

What advice would you give someone thinking about studying this course?

The advice that I would give someone thinking about studying the course is to look into and research all of the possible career paths that they could choose from if they were to study on the course, as there are various settings, such as a prison, hospital, adventure playground etc. By carrying out extra research, it will help to widen the individual’s understanding of the course.

What will your story be?

Studying with us is a great choice, check out some of our courses and see for yourself!