The School has supported me throughout my course

Student spotlight | Mavis Addawoo, MSc Public Health – Health Promotion

I am studying the MSc Public Health – Health Promotion course at Leeds Beckett University.

Tell us a bit about yourself and what drew you to Public Health

I work in education, supporting with apprenticeships in health and social care. I have been working in this tutoring role for the last six years, supporting with both children and adults’ qualifications. I volunteer with charities including the Foodbank and charities that support the elderly to live safely and independently in the community.

What made you choose Leeds Beckett?

I was looking to further improve and enhance public service practice, as part of the work I do contributing to my community. Having made enquiries with community volunteers, they recommended Leeds Beckett University to pursue my chosen public health programme. I have really enjoyed studying at the university and am glad I made the decision to study at Leeds Beckett University.

What has been your favourite thing about your time studying at Leeds Beckett?

I received appropriate support tailored to my needs. The entire staff body in my School supported me appropriately with my onset of mental ill health during the Coronavirus pandemic, when I had just started my programme. This person-centred practice by the university offered empathy and supported me to continue studying and enhance my public services practice in my community, as well as continually improving my wellbeing.

What advice would you give someone thinking about studying this course?

My advice for anyone wanting to build and develop a career in public health is to pursue their studies at Leeds Beckett University. The studies will broaden their knowledge and skills in public health – health promotion as this offers them a great opportunity to learn about concepts in professional practice, research methodologies, policies, health communications, and people power and communities. These are taught via interactive methods, including group activities and seminars, which will enable you to reflect and share good practice with diverse professionals worldwide, who are also enrolled on the programme.

What will your story be?

Studying with us is a great choice, check out some of our courses and see for yourself!