Helping students become agents of change

Colleague spotlight | Sue Lindsay

Sue Lindsay

I have been a senior lecturer for over 15 years teaching on a variety of health and social care courses. I am a dual qualified Youth and Community worker (JNC) and BACP registered Counsellor and Psychotherapist. My research interests include identity and gender studies.

Tell us a bit about you and what led you to working with the School of Health

I started out as a Youth and Community worker and moved into lecturing as a way of positively influencing the next generation of practitioners. Working now in Counselling and mental health, it remains as important to me as ever to keep assisting students to think broadly, to be vigilant about their own wellbeing and to view others with respect and dignity. I have a passion for equality and fairness and contributing to students understanding of both themselves and of others is a real privilege. 

What makes you passionate about your work and why is it important? 

Albeit I have moved from Youth and Community into Counselling and Psychotherapy the passion remains the same: make a positive contribution to students learning experience and enhance their knowledge acquisition, so they are best placed to assist in being agents of change for those in need of support, advocacy or equity.

How is collaboration integral to your work, and what are one or two collaborations that have been most meaningful to you?

As research informed professionals, collaboration is key to maintaining a finger on the pulse of what is happening in practice. Alongside working with fellow practitioners and colleagues alike, I have been involved in European projects working with young people, local service providers such as MIND and various Refugee and Asylum Seeker organisations, establishing the benefits of relational therapeutic approaches.

What achievements in this area have you been most proud of while working with the School?

I am most proud of the relationships I develop with students and the commitment I have to ensuring that everyone on our courses have the best opportunity to reach their potential. 

University is a journey and learning is life-long. I always learn something either about myself or the world of someone else through my role in engaging with students, and I am both proud and privileged to be a part of a school where student experience is so important.

Sue Lindsay

Senior Lecturer / School Of Health

Sue Lindsay is a dual qualified youth and community worker and counsellor and psychotherapist with a long history of engaging with service users clients and students so they can reach their full potential.