My dream job has allowed me to give children a voice

Alumni spotlight | Nicki Watkinson, MA Youth Work & Community Development

Nicki Watkinson

I had been working in with young people for about 12 years before I took the plunge to return to university and study for a MA in Youth Work & Community Development. As a mature student, who had been out of formal education since 1996 this was quite daunting, but I was encouraged to go for it by my teenage daughters who said they would come to my graduation and be really proud of me – so I did it!

Tell us a bit about yourself and what you've been doing since you graduated

Since I graduated in 2021, initially, I continued in the role I had been doing for 3 years, working for the local authority with care experienced young people, supporting them to realise their potential and follow their dreams. However, in November 2021 I saw a job advertised within the local authority that really caught my eye – Strategic Manager – Youth Voice and Creative Engagement. Although this was a big jump, in terms of salary and management banding, having my MA qualification gave me the confidence to apply, and I was successful. I started the role in February 2022, and love the combination of working with a wide range of young people from differing backgrounds and with varying challenges and vulnerabilities, as well as being able to steer the service in a positive direction.

What have been the highlights and challenges of your career so far?

The highlight was definitely getting my dream job, managing a team of fantastic people who are determined that the voice of the child is heard, and that has also been the biggest challenge. I have had to learn very quickly all about working with children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND), how to write a strategy, navigate the results of the National Care Review and the SEND Green Paper and present to our Senior Leadership Team! Since starting in the role I have had the privilege to support and attend several activity days with children and young people from all the different groups my team run, and see the joy on the attendees faces when they were able to come together in person for the first time since the pandemic was unforgettable.

How has your experience studying at Leeds Beckett influenced you and your career?

I can 100% say that without studying at Leeds Beckett and gaining my MA qualification I would not have had the confidence or self-belief to apply for my current role.

The content of the course, and the enthusiasm and knowledge of the lecturers really focused me, and made me determined to find a role in this sector where I could make a tangible difference to the lives of children and young people.

What advice would you give someone thinking about studying this course?

Just do it – you are not too old, or out of education for too long – the course is delivered in a way that brings out your strengths and you are supported throughout. Working full time and studying was a challenge but I am so glad I did it and I am so proud of myself for doing it.

What's next for you?

Being new to my current role I have no dramatic plans to move on; I just want to improve our service and one of the ways I will be doing this is by taking Youth Work students from Leeds Beckett in the future to complete their placements in my team.

What will your story be?

Studying with us is a great choice, check out some of our courses and see for yourself!