Balancing my part-time masters with work and home life

Student Spotlight | Joseph Clark

Joseph Clark head shot

Joseph Clark is a mature student at Leeds Beckett University, studying a Masters in Social History. After 15 years working in social care, Joseph chose to return to university part-time to explore his interests in literature, art, and culture.

Course: MA Social History

You’ve worked in social care for the past 15 years, what’s brought you back to university to do a Masters in Social History?

I had always been keen to study again but was never sure of what I would do exactly, and with work and life commitments, it was about finding the right time to do it. 

I’ve always enjoyed reading widely and have a broad range of interests from literature, art and culture to politics, psychology and of course social work, so I was looking for a course which would allow me to explore my different interests. I also wanted to study somewhere close to home (Sheffield).

After visiting Leeds Beckett and speaking to the course tutors at an open day, the MA in Social History seemed to be everything I was looking for. The modules were varied, and as seminars took place in the evening, I’d be able to fit in my study around work.

What’s it been like returning to university to be a student again?

It has been a really good experience so far - I did have some worries about whether I would remember how to study again, write essays and manage all the reading, but I have eased into it really well; I think because I'm motivated and have been interested in all the modules. Studying part-time has also helped - I haven't felt too overwhelmed.

How are you finding balancing home life, work and study?

It has become more challenging as the year has progressed and the assignments keep coming, but the teaching team at Leeds Beckett have been really approachable and supportive. 

I have had to be fairly rigorous in managing my time, making sure in advance I have enough preparation time when an assignment is due and committing to days in the library. But I have also learned the importance of protecting some time to properly switch off and relax. 

You studied Modern Languages for your undergraduate degree, was it an issue that you hadn’t previously studied History?

I did worry about this at first, but it hasn't been an issue - I think it's about having an open and inquisitive mindset rather than specific subject knowledge. Coming from a humanities background has certainly helped, and I am glad to feel that reading for pleasure and interest over the years has been useful.

What’s been one of your favourite things about the course so far?

Part of the assessment for the first module on the course, Researching Cultures, takes the form of an academic conference on the theme of war. 

We were invited to submit an abstract for a paper on a related topic of our own choice and deliver a ten-minute presentation to our course group and tutors. I looked at how the first world war has been commemorated in art over the past hundred years up to the present. 

Although I was nervous, it was really helpful in terms of building confidence, and it was enjoyable to research something that interested me. It was also a great way of getting to know the other students and their particular interests.

What value do you see in having a postgraduate degree?

For me the value is in developing critical thinking skills, expanding my perspective on the world, and being able to engage with many different issues in culture and society. I feel it's useful not just for employment but all aspects of life.