Student information and disclosures

As a student within the Leeds Beckett community, there are several ways that Support Report Respect is relevant to you, whether you want to access support for yourself or get information on how to support those around you.

In this page you'll find information on how to disclose or report a behaviour or incident(s) of discrimination, harassment, abuse, violence or hate of any kind, to yourself or someone you know, as well as useful contacts and resources.

You can use our online disclosure forms to tell the university if something you happened to you or someone you know. Whether you make a disclosure or a formal report is entirely your choice, and there are a number of ways you can do this.

If you choose to submit a disclosure you can either complete the form anonymously or provide your name and contact details. By providing your details, a specially trained adviser will be able to contact you to discuss your experience, provide initial support and explain your options for taking the disclosure further, if that’s something you’d like to do.

Anonymous disclosures support us in better understanding the prevalence of issues within our community, without requiring you to share personal information. This means we can build a picture of the inappropriate behaviours and incidents that have taken place. We can monitor trends in the information you choose to share with us and use this to inform our preventative work on tackling discrimination, harassment, abuse, and violence.

All disclosures are handled sensitively, and we appreciate you choosing to share your experience with us. Please note that completing our online disclosure forms does not initiative a formal report through our University Complaints Procedure and Code of Discipline.

What can I disclose?

You can use our reporting forms to disclose behaviours or incidents of discrimination, harassment, abuse, violence or hate of any kind, that may be based on race, gender, sexuality, disability or other characteristics. If you have experienced something that has made you feel uncomfortable, you can report it to the university.

Bullying and harassment is behaviour that makes someone feel intimidated or offended. Harassment is unlawful under the Equality Act 2010. Bullying itself is not against the law, but harassment is. This is when the unwanted behaviour is related to one of the following: age, sex, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief or sexual orientation.

Domestic abuse, also called relationship abuse or violence, is usually about one person’s desire to control their partner, even if they are not aware of this themselves. The government defines domestic violence as ‘Any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive or threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are or have been intimate partners or family members regardless of gender or sexuality.'

'Hate incidents' and 'hate crimes' are terms used to describe acts of violence or hostility directed at people because of who they are or who someone thinks they are. They are motivated by hostility or prejudice based on disability, race, religion, transgender identity, or sexual orientation. This can be an incident against a person or against property and includes materials posted online.

Sexual harassment is any unwanted conduct of a sexual nature. You do not have to have objected to a certain kind of behaviour in the past for it to be unwanted and constitute harassment. The law states it is sexual harassment if the behaviours have the effect or intention to: violate your dignity; makes you feel intimidated; degraded or humiliated; create an embarrassing, hostile or offensive environment. Sexual harassment can happen to all genders and is not limited by sexual orientation.

Sexual violence is any behaviour of a sexual nature, which is unwanted and takes place without consent or understanding. If you or any one you know has experienced sexual violence or assault, there is support available. One important thing to remember if you have been raped or experienced any other kind of sexual violence - no matter where you were, what you were doing, what you were wearing, what you were saying, or if you were drunk or under the influence of drugs - it was not your fault; you are not to blame.

Making a formal complaint to the university

If you experience inappropriate behaviour of any kind from a fellow student you can report this to the university by making a formal complaint against the student under the Student Complaints Procedure. The Governance and Legal Services team are responsible for managing student complaints. For further information regarding allegations against another student or a member of staff, please read the information below. 

If you experience inappropriate behaviour of any kind from a fellow student you can report this to the university by making a formal complaint against the student under the Student Complaints Procedure. The Governance and Legal Services Team are responsible for managing student complaints. A senior member of staff will then undertake a formal internal investigation of the incident, and apply sanctions under the Student Code of Discipline, as appropriate.

We advise that you contact the Students’ Union for advice / representation during either of these processes.

The student complaints process also applies if you experience inappropriate behaviour from a member of staff. An investigation will be undertaken, and the Staff Disciplinary Procedure applied, as appropriate.

We advise that you contact the Students’ Union for advice / representation during either of these processes.

Reporting to the Police

PC Mark Fox is your university’s Police Liaison Officer. You can arrange to meet with Mark in person or speak to him via phone or e-mail and he can offer advice on your options in relation to any incident, including details on what happens once a police report is made.

If you simply want information, options and reassurance then you can hold back from disclosing personal details about yourself or the perpetrator to Mark. If you disclose your details and / or the perpetrator ’s details, it is Mark’s duty as a Police Constable to report it and record it on police systems.

Mark Fox WYP

Sexual violence is a criminal offence and can be reported to the Police, who have specially trained officers to deal with allegations of sexual violence. If you do decide to report the incident to the police, the criminal process and police investigation will take priority over any university investigations. The university will only carry out internal investigations and disciplinary processes if you have chosen not to report the incident to the police, or after the police investigation has concluded.

If you are not sure yet whether you want to report to the police but think you might want to at some point, you can have a forensic medical examination carried out at your nearest Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC), where forensic evidence can be stored for a future date.

You can find specific information about support available from ISVA (Independent Sexual Violence Advocates) services and other organisations on our 'Get Support' section on this page. 

Crimes committed against someone because of their disability, transgender-identity, race, religion or belief, or sexual orientation are hate crimes and can be reported to the police. This can include threatening behaviour, assault, damage to property, harassment (on and offline) or inciting others to commit hate crimes.  

True Vision has been developed so reports of hate crimes can be made online and you do not have to visit a police station to report. Click here to report a hate crime to your local police.

You can also visit a Hate Incident Reporting Centre (HIRC) where you can report an incident and have control over the nature of the report, the type of investigation and support you access.

Domestic or relationship abuse or violence is a crime and can be reported to the police. Domestic abuse covers a range of types of abuse, including psychological, physical, sexual, financial or emotional abuse. It can be prosecuted under a range of offences and the term is used to describe a range of controlling and coercive behaviours.

You can report to your local neighbourhood policing team, if it is not an emergency. You can find specific information about support available from IDVA (Independent Domestic Violence Advocates) services and other organisations in our Get Support section on this page.

Get in touch

We understand that experiencing behaviours or incidents of discrimination, harassment, abuse, violence or hate, of any kind, can be very difficult to work through on your own.

Our support information provides details of university-based services available, as well as external specialist support. If you, or someone you know, has experienced a behaviour or incident(s) that made them feel unsafe, we hope we can help you with accessing the support that is best for you. You can work through this support with an adviser from the university. If you’re not ready to speak with someone, you can access this support without making a disclosure.

Get support from our university

Our Student Services Advisers are specially trained to listen to you and your experiences, help you access other professional support services and talk through your options for taking the disclosure further. Our Student Services Advisers within Student Services have undergone specialist training to support students who are victims and survivors of harassment, abuse, and violence, or who are engaged in sex work. If you feel ready to speak to someone and submit a disclosure, a Student Services Adviser will contact you to arrange a meeting to provide initial support and discuss next steps.

Support for Student Survivors of Gendered Violence is available during term-time to Leeds Beckett students of all genders as a one-to-one confidential appointment, held on a weekly basis. You can talk through what you've experienced, get immediate help and find out about longer term support options. The service exists to provide a safe, welcoming and non-judgemental space for student victims and survivors of any of the following: sexual assault, abuse or rape / domestic abuse / controlling relationships / harassment / stalking / forced marriage / honour-based violence / issues arising from sex work / grooming or any other form of violence or abuse.

The Wellbeing team offers a free and confidential service aimed at providing you with information, practical and therapeutic support to help you manage any difficulties you are experiencing. The team can advise you about reporting the incident and support you through the process practically and emotionally.

The SU Advice service can provide you with guidance on practical steps you can take if you feel that the situation is or has impacted on your academic performance or if you want to make a complaint about the perpetrator (if they are a Leeds Beckett student/staff member). They can also point you in the direction of places that can provide you emotional support.

Get support from local and national services

The Hazlehurst Centre

SARC is a joint initiative between West Yorkshire’s Police and Crime Commissioner and NHS England aimed at improving the provision of services to victims of rape and serious sexual assault.

The Hazlehurst Centre SARC offers free support and practical help to anyone in West Yorkshire who has experienced sexual violence and/or sexual abuse. Their service is completely confidential and you do not have to give any personal information in order to get help or report the incident to the police. If you would like to speak to someone they are available 24/7.

Services that are available within the SARC are:

  • Access to a Forensic Medical Examiner
  • Referral care pathways for ongoing healthcare needs
  • Referral care pathways to the ISVA (Independent Sexual Advisors) service

SARSVL is the Rape Crisis Centre for Leeds. They are a feminist organisation that exists to support all women and girls who have been affected by sexual violence of any kind at any time in their lives. They promote their needs and rights and work towards the elimination of sexual violence. Through SARSVL you can access advocacy through their ISVA service, and counselling.

Galop is the LGBT+ anti-violence charity. They provide confidential and independent advice and support for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and queer people who have experienced sexual assault, abuse or violence, however or whenever it occurred. If you choose to report to the police, they can help you to get appropriate and effective police response and support you through every step of the criminal justice system. Their service is based on the values of inclusion and empowerment. For more information visit

Trans Survivors Switchboard is a dedicated helpline which offers support to trans people including those who are non-binary or questioning, who have experienced sexual violence at any point in their lifetime.

Yorkshire MESMAC provide Leeds Survivors Support Group, which is for men, Trans men, non-binary, and intersex people. The support group is a comfortable and confidential space to meet other survivors of sexual violence and share stories and strategies. The aims of the group are to gain confidence and find support in through day-to-day life.

  • Tel: 07761936764

West Yorkshire Survivors provide gender-informed support for male victims and survivors of sexual violence and abuse. Their survivor led service offers pathways for emotional, psychological & self-help support for men in the community who have experienced sexual violence or abuse at any point in their lives. For more information visit their website.

Yorkshire MESMAC provide Leeds Survivors Support Group, which is for men, Trans men, non-binary, and intersex people. The support group is a comfortable and confidential space to meet other survivors of sexual violence and share stories and strategies. The aims of the group are to gain confidence and find support in through day-to-day life.

Leeds Domestic Violence Service (LDVS) is a partnership of 3 specialist services in Leeds: Leeds Women’s Aid, Behind Closed Doors and Womens Health Matters. LDVS works with women, men and families in Leeds, offering emergency accommodation, support, advice and advocacy.. LDVS supports anyone experiencing domestic violence and abuse and actively encourages people from LGBT+ communities to access our support.

  • Call the 24 Hour Helpline on 0113 246 0401.
  • Email:

In partnership with Leeds Domestic Violence Service, Leeds Women’s Aid provides a 24-hour domestic violence helpline as well as drop-in support at health settings across the city, additional shared refuge accommodation, the Staying Safe group ‘Healthy Relationships’ programme, and support and accommodation for women who have been trafficked. They provide 24 hour safe emergency accommodation for anyone fleeing an abusive relationship.

Victim Support can help anyone of all genders affected by crime, including rape, sexual violence, domestic abuse, harassment and hate crimes. Not only can victims access support, but so can their friends, family and any other people involved. Because they are an independent charity, you can support you without the involvement of the criminal justice system, and will not contact them about you unless they feel someone is at risk.

If someone discloses an experience of discrimination, harassment, violence, abuse or hate crime, it is sometimes difficult to know how to respond. It is ok to not have all the answers and you don’t need to be an expert to support them.  

Your role is to provide a safe space that encourages the individual to seek what they need, by responding in a way that is genuine, appropriate and empowering. Below is information about the basic foundations of supporting someone who has experienced behaviours or incident(s) that have made them feel unsafe, as well as professional support and resource to assist you.  

If you are concerned about a friend, you need advice or you are not sure what to do, you can get confidential guidance and support by making a report or contacting an adviser. 

Some ways you can help

  1. Listen

    Listen, and show that you are listening to what she / he / they have to say, even if it is difficult for you to hear. You might have many questions but try not to interrupt. Accept periods of silence and do not feel like you have to fill the space. Let them tell the story and concentrate on what’s being said. 

  2. Give them control

    Harassment, abuse and violence, of any kind, can make a person feel powerless. It is important that they are given full control over their disclosure and what happens next.

    You can signpost them to the 'Support Report Respect' pages and talk them through their options. However, it is most important to respect whatever route they choose to take and respond sensitively and supportively.

  3. Be patient

    It might not be easy for them to start talking about their experiences. They might feel ashamed, responsible, traumatised or threatened. 

    By telling you about the incident, they have put their trust in you, so avoid encouraging them for details before they are ready. 

    If you are supporting a partner or spouse through an incident, whether it is recently or in the past, they might find intimacy and sexual contact difficult. Remember that this is not a reflection of your relationship. Reassure them and be patient. 

  4. Respect their courage

    It takes so much strength to speak out about harassment, abuse and violence, of any kind. As long as you do not judge them or disclose the incident to anyone else without their consent, you will really be helping someone to seek out the support they need. 

  5. Believe

    Survivors often worry that they will not be believed. It is so important, especially in the early stages of the disclosure, that we convey genuine belief and devote our full attention to them.

    Try not to ask questions that sound like you’re questioning their story. For example, avoid questions that start with ‘Why did you...?’. 

  6. Remember it’s not their fault

    They did not ask for this to happen. No survivor should ever be blamed for not preventing what happened to them. The responsibility lies with the perpetrator. Negative judgements about themselves may be made by the individual and those around them. Therefore, it is important that these are not reinforced. 

To build a positive, inclusive and nurturing university community, we must all make a personal and positive commitment to upholding the values that underpin that.

You can play your part to help change the culture at our university.