Research at Leeds Beckett
About Deveral Capps
Deveral is the Dean of Leeds Law School. He joined Leeds Beckett in 2015 and has been involved in Higher Education for over 20 years, 18 of which were spent at Northumbria. As a barrister, in both civil and criminal law, Deveral has appeared in courts across the North of England and is a door tenant at Trinity Chambers in Newcastle upon Tyne. As a legal academic he has taught on undergraduate, postgraduate and professional courses and published widely on legal education, legal skills and eCommerce law.
Deveral has had significant input into the development of legal education and training in the UK. Between 2011 and 2013, he sat on the steering panel for the Legal Education and Training Review, the largest review of legal education since 1971. Deveral sits on the Bar Standards Board’s Future Bar Training Programme Board and is a member of the Curriculum and Assessments Review group examining how barristers will be trained in the future. He is also a panel member for the subject pilot of the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF).
As an expert in Quality Assurance, Deveral has a broad understanding of academic quality and assurance processes. He is an experienced external examiner, including lead external examiner, for all types of academic award and also solicitors' Higher Rights. He has also been a member of Institutional inspecting panels on behalf of the Solicitors Regulation Authority and the Bar Standards Board. Outside of law, Deveral is a board member and trustee of Ballet LORENT, the leading contemporary dance company in the North East.
Deveral provides support for master’s dissertations.
Deveral has a number of different research interests including legal education, legal skills and eCommerce Law.
- Expert advice and support for law students
- Brexit - the next chapter
- Tax expert's book deal with Leeds Beckett University
- Terrorism expert appointed at Leeds Beckett University
- Supreme Court judge opens new Law Clinic
- Legal experts discuss future of the profession
- Head of Parole Board lectures at Leeds Law School
- Leeds Beckett plays part in HEFCE Teaching Excellence Framework subject level pilots
- Leading judge to lecture at Leeds Law School
- Guest lecture explores the rule of law in the digital age
- Guest lecture to explore the rule of law in the digital age
- Leeds Beckett LLB (Hons) Law degree launched in Mauritius
- Graduation prizes awarded to celebrate law students’ success
- MP and Judge join Leeds Law School as Visiting Fellows