Research at Leeds Beckett
Dr Peter Mills
About Dr Peter Mills
Gaining his PhD from the University of Liverpool on the work of Olaf Stapledon, Peter spent ten years teaching Literature, Music, Philosophy and History at universities in the UK and Europe before arriving at Leeds Beckett University. His background is in English Literature, but he now teaches a range of modules on the Media Communication Culture degree, with an emphasis on his area of particular expertise, music.
In 2010 his book on the work of Van Morrison Hymns To The Silence was published joining work on Samuel Beckett, Olaf Stapledon and extensive contributions to works such as The Rough Guide To Rock . In 2012 his second book, Media and Popular Music, was published by Edinburgh University Press. He was singer and lyricist for the band Innocents Abroad, who made two albums, Quaker City and Eleven.
Interpreting New Media
Introducing Media Studies
Popular Music and the Moving Image
Popular Music, Dissenting Cultures
Peter's current research focuses upon the life and work of Leeds-born singer songwriter Jake Thackray, and from this has come a sense that Leeds needs to develop a keener sense of its musical past and present identity, and he is currently planning how best to help this along.
Peter is a regular contributor to TV, radio and newspapers as a commentator or contributor on musical matters for example he is currently working on two documentaries for BBC Four television and a radio documentary for BBC Radio Four, alongside regular local appearances in the media.
- Mills P (2016) The Monkees, Head, and the 60s. London/ New York: Jawbone Press.
- Mills P (2012) Media and Popular Music. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
- Mills P (2010) Hymns to the Silence: Inside the Work of Van Morrison. New York: Continuum.
- Mills P (2018) "Hit The Road , Jack: Van Morrison and 'On The Road' ". In: Warner S; Sampras J Kerouac on Record: A Literary Soundtrack. London: Bloomsbury, pp. .
- Mills P (2017) Fallen From The Garden: XTC and Thomas Hardy. In: Fisher M The XTC Bumper Book For Boys And Girls. Edinburgh: Limelight, pp. .
- Mills P (2013) Jake Thackray and Cultural Permissions of Northern Englishness. In: Cowgill R; Russell D; Scott D Music and The Idea of The North. : Ashgate, pp. .
Films or broadcasts (1)
- Blues Run The Game: the story of Jackson C. Frank (2017) Mills P. : BBC Radio 4
- Mills P (2015), Tracey Thorn in conversation with Peter Mills
Newspaper or magazine articles (1)
- Mills P (2013), Gary Shearston [obituary]