Research at Leeds Beckett
Dr Therese Fozard
About Dr Therese Fozard
Therese is a Senior Lecturer in Psychology. Her research explores the repressive coping style and links between impulsivity, stress, emotion regulation and addiction.
Therese completed her PhD at the University of Leeds. She began working as a Senior Lecturer in Psychology at Leeds Beckett in 2013, before which she worked at the University of West London. She has taught across all core areas of the BPS curriculum and has also developed and led a number of specialist modules.
Therese teaches on both the BSc and MSc Psychology courses. Currently, she teaches biological psychology flavoured modules and leads or contributes to the following:
- Behavioural Neuroscience
- Biopsychology of Stress and Health
- The Embodied Mind
Therese also supervises final year projects and PhDs.
Therese’s doctoral research explored the mechanisms that may underlie the cognitive, behavioural and physiological response profile of those who display a repressive style of coping. Developing an understanding of these mechanisms can help form interventions aimed at reducing the negative health outcomes that characterise this style of coping. She continues to work on projects in this area, exploring factors that may lead to the development of potentially dangerous cognitive processing biases.
Therese is also involved in research into addiction, exploring how factors such as attentional bias, stress, emotion regulation and impulsivity may contribute to risk at various stages of the addiction cycle. She is also supervising projects exploring links between these risk factors and eating behaviour. This is with a view to informing interventions aimed at reducing addictive behaviour and unhealthy eating patterns.
Conference contributions (6)
- Round JR; Harrison AA; Shepherd TE; Kolokotroni KZ (2016) The Effects of an Acute Psychological Stressor on Subjective and Physiological Reactivity in Cannabis Smokers, Tobacco Smokers, and Non-Smokers Low Wood, Windermere . : .
- Shepherd TE; Kolokotroni KZ; Selby DL; Fisher K; Harrison AA (2015) Impulsivity and it's Relationship to Attentional Bias in Smokers Verona, Italy 20150912. : .
- Round J; Harrison AA; Shepherd TE; Kolokotroni KZ (2015) The Effects of an Acute Psycholosocial Stressor and Drug Cue Exposure on Craving and Stress Reactivity in Cannabis Smokers Verona, Italy . : .
- Selby DL; Harrison AA; Shepherd TE; Kolokotroni KZ (2015) Dissociating 'Wanting' and Anticipated 'Liking' from Consumatory 'Liking' in Smokers with different levels of Nicotine Dependency Verona, Italy 20150912. : .
- Round J; Harrison AA; Shepherd TE; Kolokotroni KZ (2014) The Effects of Acute Cannabis Withdrawal on Impulsivity in Humans Low Wood, Windermere . : .
- Selby DL; Kolokotroni KZ; Harrison AA; Shepherd TE (2012) The Relationship between Impulsivity and Physiological and Psychological Responses to Smoking-Related Cues Low Wood Hotel, Windermere,The Lake Disrtict, Cumbria 20120903. : .