"I have just completed my first year studying Primary Education 5-11 and I can still remember the daunting process of deciding what university would be the best for me. There are so many factors to consider but for me the opportunity to go on a residential trip at the start of the first year convinced me that Leeds Beckett was where I wanted to be. It seems like a terrifying idea to spend a few days away with people you have known for such a short time. However, I found it to be one of the best experiences I could have had to get me settled in. It turns out that getting involved with quizzes, canoeing and even walking barefoot in mud is a great way to bond with course mates and to learn about how these activities can help children to learn in a new and exciting way.

Some activities that we did stood out particularly. The canoeing was as fun you can imagine! Many people came back soaking wet but enjoyed it. Whilst we were out there, we were talking about how we would do the same activities with children. This was a chance to discuss how to allow children to have fun but within a controlled and safe environment. One of the best activities was the woodland walk that we went on. This was centered around helping us to understand how outdoor learning can be beneficial. This was a great experience and has linked so closely with what we do in the course. There is a focus in the first year on the benefits of forest schools and it’s fantastic to draw on personal experiences.

Overall this was one of the best parts of my first year that has helped me form strong friendships and learn skills that can be applied to future teaching. I met my closest friends on this trip and can't wait to move in with them for second year."