I Found My Niche as a Sports Nutritionist Whilst Studying Sport and Exercise Science

Alumni Spotlight | Lara Wilson

Lara Wilson headshot

After completing a BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science degree at Leeds Beckett University, Lara Wilson has gone on to support Paralympic athletes within British Wheelchair Basketball, Para Badminton and Para Table Tennis as a Sports Nutritionist. Lara is also currently completing a PhD with the Scottish Rugby Union Women’s National Team, which addresses nutritional issues experienced in professional women’s rugby union. 
Course: BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science

Why did you choose to study BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science?

I absolutely loved sport from a young age, whether that was watching or participating, and I was always so inspired by the Olympics and Paralympics. Sport & Exercise Science (SPEX) felt like the perfect degree for me as it covered a broad spectrum of disciplines that underpin sports performance.

What attracted you to study Sport and Exercise Science at Leeds Beckett University?

Leeds Beckett was always highly rated on university guide reports and the city of Leeds itself is also a great hub for sport in general, being home to big clubs such as Leeds United Football Club and Leeds Rhinos. There was also a huge spectrum of sports teams to get involved with, all of which were very competitive within the BUCs league tables. More generally, I absolutely loved Headingley campus and the facilities.

Did you know what you wanted to do for a career before starting University?

I had absolutely no idea! And that’s ok! I just went with what I enjoyed, and it was throughout my degree where I found my niche (sports nutrition) and then pursued that as my career path.

What are the career opportunities for Sport and Exercise Science graduates?

The course is so broad, but with the opportunity to narrow down your focus in the final year. It’s not just sport, a lot of the content is directed towards the general population and the impact of exercise on health, so the course could certainly propel you into more clinical or public health career paths.

You could choose to study modules such as cardiac rehab and obesity management or go more sports focused and chose to study exercise in extreme environments. It’s great to see how varied my peer’s jobs are now, some are sports therapists, some are working in the NHS or as civil servants, some have gone into research and some are working in elite sport.

What skills did you learn on your Sport and Exercise Science degree which helped prepare you for your career?

So many! My degree formed much of my knowledge base that I use every day at work. But a degree is more than just acquiring knowledge. My degree taught me time management, how to juggle multiple tasks, how to think critically and for myself. And of course, there was all the exciting practical experience I gained too. A lot of our taught sessions were in the labs. We learned how to take blood samples, use really cool exercise equipment, and test the efficacy of supplements! I certainly have Leeds Beckett to thank for the practitioner I am now. 

Why did you choose to go on to study an MSc in Sport and Exercise Nutrition?

During my SPEX undergrad, I really enjoyed the nutrition modules, and in my final year, I elected to focus my dissertation on nutrition. Once I had decided sports nutrition was where I wanted my career to go, I started looking at job applications for working in professional sport, and having a Masters in sport nutrition was often a desirable requirement. So, I decided to stay on at Leeds Beckett and do a Masters to become more specialised.

I studied my Masters part-time whilst also working for a local council, supporting overweight children and their families to lead healthier lives. It was a really rewarding role and a perfect fit to gain work experience whilst studying. 

You’re currently doing a PhD in collaboration with Scottish Rugby Union working with the women’s national team as a practitioner and researcher, can you tell us a little bit more about this?

My PhD sits within the Carnegie Applied Rugby Research group, which is essentially a team of amazing researchers conducting brilliant research related to rugby and other contact sports. The collaborative nature of my PhD means I get to simultaneously develop my practitioner and research skills. 

Throughout my PhD, I am contracted to be the Lead Nutritionist for the Scottish Rugby Union (SRU) Women’s national team while researching. The aim of my PhD is to optimise the nutritional intakes and behaviours of elite female rugby players. Some of my research has focused on quantifying the energy expenditure of female rugby players, and also conducting a behavioural diagnosis on the players barrier and enablers in consuming a diet that supports health and performance. 

The benefit of this collaborative model means that my research addresses real ‘issues’ experienced in professional women’s rugby which will benefit the SRU and also the wider women’s rugby community. This ultimately enables the uptake of research into practice.

As well as Scottish Rugby Union, you’ve gone on to work with British Wheelchair Basketball, Para Badminton and Para Table Tennis. What led you to these roles and what do you enjoy most about working in para-sport? 

All my para-sport roles sit within the English Institute of Sport (EIS). I genuinely wouldn’t have them if it weren’t for my tutors on my master’s course. They recognised my potential and put me forward for a one-year internship with Para Table Tennis.

I worked one day per week with their podium and podium potential athletes, including educating them on nutrition for health and performance, helping them improve cooking skills, and supporting them logistically when they travelled for competitions. When my internship ended, my technical lead within the EIS supported me getting roles with wheelchair basketball and para badminton. I supported both sports through to Tokyo Paralympics and I’m continuing to support Para Badminton to Paris 2024. 

Para-sport was not something I’d anticipated working in, but I’m so grateful I have. It challenges you beyond sports nutrition for able-bodied athletes, as there are so many additional considerations you have to make based on each individual athlete's impairment. It’s something I’d like to continue with long-term and hopefully even research to give these athletes and sports the recognition they deserve, particularly in the research space!

What do you want to do after you finish your PhD?

I’m quite open minded about the future. My degrees and current experiences have left me in a great place to explore many options. Ideally, I’d like to commit to a few roles such as continuing my practitioner work with athletes, but I’d also like to do lecturing to share my knowledge and experience with others.